- Regional focus: Africa's response to climate risks
The Eldis Climate Change Resource guide is showcasing regional content from Africa, Asia and Latin America. This week we focus on Africa.
We know that Africa is one of the most vulnerable continents to climate change and evidence from the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) shows that 'climate change is expected to have widespread impacts on African society and Africans’ interaction with the natural environment.
Links to a previous blog by Dr. Johnson Nkem, from the African Climate Policy Centre, Eldis climate change country profiles, and regionally focused research readings have been pulled together to feature how Africa is responding to climate stresses and shocks.
Read the full news story here
- High and Dry: Climate change, water and the economy
- World Bank Publications 2016
- This World Bank reports finds that water scarcity, exacerbated by climate change, could hinder economic growth, spur migration, and spark conflict. However, most countries can neutralize the adverse impacts of water scarcity by taking...
- Sustainable development and the water–energy–food nexus: A perspective on livelihoods
- E.M. Biggs; E. Bruce; B. Boruff / Science Direct 2015
- The waterenergyfood nexus is being promoted as a conceptual tool for achieving sustainable development. Frameworks for implementing nexus thinking, however, have failed to explicitly or adequately incorporate sustainable&n...
- The Water-Energy-Food Nexus: A new approach in support of food security and sustainable agriculture
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations 2014
- This FAO note gives a brief introduction to the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus conceptual framework as a useful way to describe and address the complex and interrelated nature of our global resource systems. It puts forward WEF as a co...
- Climate change and water: An overview from the World Water Development Report 3: Water in a changing world
- United Nations World Water Assessment Programme 2009
- This World Water Assessment Programme Special Report brings together messages on water and climate change from the World Water Development Report 3: Water in a Changing World. Water in a Changing World shows that changes in our water ...
- Water and Climate Blue Book
- World Water Council 2016
- Llaunched by the Morroccan government at COP22 in Marrakech, the blue book aims to raise international awareness on the vulnerability of water in the context of climate change and the urgency of action. It also speaks in favor of merg...
- Climate change adaption readiness: lessons from the 2015/16 El Niño for climate readiness in Southern Africa
- A. Benkenstein / South African Institute of International Affairs 2017
- Southern Africa is experiencing its worst drought in at least 35 years. The drought is associated with an acute El Niño cycle, a periodic weather phenomenon that affects weather patterns across large regions of the glob...
- Report on the nationally determined contributions survey conducted by the Nairobi Framework Partnership in 2016
- United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change 2017
- Countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America and the Caribbean urgently need financial support to green their power sectors and thereby implement their national climate action plans under the Paris Climate Change Agreement. ...
- Resilience Resources: RABIT - Resilience Assessment Benchmarking and Impact
- Nexus for ICTs, Climate Change and Development 2016
- This page provides guidance materials relating to RABIT: the Resilience Assessment Benchmarking and Impact Toolkit. This enables the measurement of resilience baselines, and also measurement of the impact on resilience of develo...
- Impact of climate change on select value chains in Mozambique
- Chemonics International Inc. 2017
- In Mozambique, where agriculture accounts for more than 25 percent of gross domestic product and employs about 80 percent of the countrys workforce, climate change has potential to reduce production of key crops and jeopardize b...
- Decentralized climate change responses in uganda: climate change adaptation lacks local government funding
- Chemonics International Inc. 2017
- This study explored ways in which Malis 25-year old decentralized governance system empowers local government to help communities adapt to the changing climate. The findings suggest that local development plans hold promise as a...