Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Violence against women in the context of urban poverty in Angola
- Iselin Å. Strønen; Margareth Nangacovie / Chr. Michelsen Institute, Norway 2016
- Violence against women is widespread in Angola. This brief presents the main findings in a recent study of how violence against women is playing out in the context of urban poverty. Faced with day-to-day challenges for survival and so...
- Angolan refugees in Zambia: reflecting on local integration as a sustainable solution
- L. Kambela / African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes 2016
- Local integration continues to be an important option in the basket of comprehensive strategies to achieve long-term solutions to refugee crises, particularly those caused by protracted conflicts. While many refugees may volun...
- Development, sustainability and social justice: the elusive balancing act of African fisheries governance
- A. Benkenstein / South African Institute of International Affairs 2014
- The discourse on African fisheries governance is dominated by themes of unrealised potential and crisis. In this respect, illegal fishing and overfishing by foreign industrial vessels, as well as intense fishing pressure in the small-...
- SADC investment perspectives in a changing international investment landscape
- H. Bezuidenhout / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- The global arena for foreign direct investment (FDI) has become much more fluid and complex in the five years from 2010 to 2015. The Southern African Development Community (SADC) as a region has shown exceptional growth but relatively...
- Energetic dialogues in South Africa: the Inga example
- A. Maupin / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- Studies of major hydropower projects such as that at the Grand Inga Dam in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) stress generation capacity and call for regional integration. Concentrating on the Inga site’s existing and fu...
- Co-operation in the South Atlantic Zone: amplifying the African agenda
- A. Lalbahadur; N. Grobbelaar; R.D. Plessisaf / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- South Africa’s foreign policy prioritises peaceful and sustainable growth in Africa by maximising its external engagements in increasingly strategic ways. This paper calls for South Africa to consider broadening its engagement w...
- China–Africa co-operation: capacity building and social responsibility of investments
- W. Benjelloun / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- Over the past decade, African economies have enjoyed a sustained period of growth, and this has made the continent an attractive destination for international investors. This paper reviews the contours of Chinese investment and aid pr...
- China and India, “rising powers” and African development : challenges and opportunities
- S. Roy / Nordic Africa Institute / Nordiska Afrikainstitutet, Uppsala 2014
- In this report, the challenges and opportunities arising from the growing ties between two key “Rising Powers,” China and India, and Africa are more fully explored. This trend has given rise to speculative, exaggerated and...
- African emerging powers
- Norwegian Peacebuilding Centre 2014
- Once considered almost solely a site of poverty and conflict, sub-Saharan Africa and perceptions of it have gradually been changing. Today, African states have become important actors in international affairs, with a number considered...
- Story Map: Ecosystem services in the Cubango / Okavango river basin
- GRID Arendal 2015
- Estimates by Alyward (2009) show that 380 000 people derive direct livelihood support from the Cubango/ Okabango River Basin. Much of the direct livelihood support is derived through the benefits obtained from wetlands and floodplain ...