Bangladesh and Gender
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
Search BRIDGE's database of gender-focused material
- The BLDS gender collection
Search for the latest gender-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Social change through the info lady experience
- This paper looks at the formation of groups and sustainability through an innovative model of ICT-based rural women's entrepeneurship in Bangladesh, known as the Info Lady Model. It looks at the selection and training of these Info Ladies, ...
- Silent cry of dying childhood and children of street based sex workers in Dhaka city, Bangladesh
- N Alam / Bangladesh e-Journal of Sociology, 2013
- Many female sex workers in Bangladesh get pregnant willingly or even unknowingly but face dire situation raising the child. Children of the female sex workers in Bangladesh are at risk of many significant threats to their health and wellbei...
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) for Rural Women’s Life in Bangladeshi Villages
- Information Communication Technology (ICT) has the potential to contribute to development, especially in rural areas of developing countries. But the mechanisms through which ICT can be combined with development agendas and an understanding...
- Violence against women: nature, causes and dimensions in contemporary Bangladesh
- K. Hossain / Bangladesh e-Journal of Sociology, 2013
- This article is an attempt to discuss some of the major dimensions of violence against women in Bangladesh. Different types of violence against women take place quite frequently in Bangladesh such as domestic violence, acid violence, rape, ...
- Social Network and Financial Literacy among Rural Adolescent Girls: Qualitative Assessment of BRAC’s SoFEA Programme
- M Kamruzzaman / BRAC Education Programme, 2012
- BRAC’s innovative initiative ‘Social and Financial Empowerment of Adolescents’ (SoFEA) launched in 2009 works to empower adolescent girls both socially and financially through creating “social network” among its members. Apart from providin...
- Men’s Knowledge and Practices of Maternal, Neonatal and Child Health in Rural Bangladesh: Do they differ from Women?
- S Salam / BRAC Education Programme, 2012
- Male partner involvement in maternal, neonatal and child health (MNCH) care has been around for a long time but nothing has been done since nobody has figured out how to do it on a large scale. We assessed men’s knowledge and their awarenes...
- Sensitizing Communities to Eliminate Discrimination and Violence Against Women: An Assessment of BRAC’s Intervention
- M Alim / BRAC Education Programme, 2012
- The project titled ‘Sensitizing communities on CEDAW’ was a part of the Gender Quality Action Learning (GQAL) programme implemented in Gazipur to sensitize people about CEDAW to prevent violence against women and sexual harassment. The stud...
- Shaking Embedded Gender Roles and Relations: An Impact Assessment of Gender Quality Action Learning Programme
- M Alim / BRAC Education Programme, 2011
- The Gender Quality Action Learning programme initiated a village level intervention in 2007 in 10 districts to increase knowledge, change perception, attitudes, and practice/behaviour of the villagers on discrimination and violence against ...
- Protecting child labour in Bangladesh: domestic laws versus international instruments
- S Aktar / Bangladesh e-Journal of Sociology, 2013
- This study tries to present the socio-economic scenario of child labour in Bangladesh which has in recent times attracted concerted attention not only in Bangladesh but also all over the globe. Indeed, child labour is recognised as a consid...
- Vulnerability and Coping Strategies of Women in Disaster: A Study on Coastal Areas of Bangladesh
- R Islam 2011
- Natural disaster is a common phenomenon in Bangladesh. Almost every year Bangladesh suffers highly by different kinds of disasters like flood, tropical cyclones, tornados, tidal surges, droughts and large scale river erosion etc. A large nu...