Brazil and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Which countries are preparing for old age?
- R. Jackson; N. Howe; K. Nakashima / Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, 2011
- The Global Aging Preparedness Index (or GAP Index) aims to provide a comprehensive assessment of the progress that countries are making in preparing for global ageing, and particularly the “old-age dependency” dimension of...
- Consequences of maternal and child undernutrition on adult health and human capital
- C. G. Victora / The Lancet, 2008
- This paper reviews the associations between maternal and child undernutrition with human capital and risk of adult diseases in low-income and middle-income countries. Data is analysed from ?ve long-standing prospective cohort st...
- Conditional cash transfer programmes and child labour
- G. I. Hirata / International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth, 2008
- Conditional cash transfer (CCT) programmes provide cash to poor households. In return, the households are expected to meet the conditionalities attached to schooling, among others. Several evaluations have found positive impacts on pr...
- Participation in Rio de Janeiro
- U.M. Butler; M. Princeswal / LSE Research Online, 2008
- Recently there has been increased enthusiasm for the participation of children and young people in various sectors of society. This has resulted in an emerging critique of the use and abuse of terms such as ‘participation&r...
- Progress made in treating children with AIDS and preventing mother to child transmission of HIV
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, 2008
- This United Nations report shows progress in treating children with AIDS and preventing mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV, but urges greater efforts to stem the tide of the global epidemic. The report examines progress and c...
- Analysing education and school-to-work transitions amongst young people in Brazil
- L. Guarcello; F.C. Rosati; P. Scaramozzino / Understanding Children's Work, Innocenti Research Centre, 2008
- This paper develops a model of investment in education and school-to-work transition under uncertainty, using Brazil as a case study. The main predictions of the model are confirmed by the empirical evidence on young individuals in li...
- Assessing risk-taking by youth in Brazil
- A. R. Cardoso; D. Verner / Social Development, World Bank, 2008
- Youth risk-taking behaviour - such as drug use, engagement in violence, school dropout, and teenage pregnancy - is known to have far-reaching implications on health, education, employment prospects, and income, which extend into...
- Opportunities have been missed for preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Brazil
- M. Dalva Turchi; L. da Silva DuarteII; C.M. Turchi MartelliI / Cadernos de Saúde Pública, 2007
- Vertical transmission or mother-to-child transmission, is the main source of the HIV infection in children. This paper published in Cadernos de Saúde Pública (Reports in Public Health) estimates the risk of vertical tran...
- Examining worldwide practices of youth social entrepreneurship
- S. Maak / Child Rights Information Network, 2007
- The term “social entrepreneurship” has emerged as a recognisable field in development work with young people. This growing interest began in the 1980s with the emergence of two schools of practice that aimed to invest in y...
- Measuring the multiple aspects of inequality among Brazil’s youth
- D. Dell’Aglio; W. Cunningham; S. Koller; V.C. Borges; J.S. Leon / Policy Research Working Papers, World Bank, 2007
- The Brazilian Youth Well-Being Index (YWI) is a single indicator of youth well-being that can be used to compare the situation of young people across regions of Brazil, as well as track progress over time. This paper develops the YWI ...