Brazil and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Assessment of crime and violence in Mozambique and recommendations for violence prevention and reduction
- Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa, 2012
- Mozambique also suffers from country specific crime challenges. For example, levels are burglary and livestock theft are ranked highest in all of Africa with 13% and 19% of respondents respectively reporting victimisation. While prope...
- Research briefing: the impact of SENAI's vocational training programme on employment, wages, and mobility in Brazil: What lessons for Sub Saharan Africa?
- International Research Initiative on Brazil and Africa, 2014
- In Sub-Saharan Africa, there is ample evidence of the significant role that education plays on shaping the labour market transition of young people. When comparing Brazil with some countries in the region, the data suggests that the h...
- The impact of SENAI's vocational training programme on employment, wages, and mobility in Brazil: what lessons for Sub Saharan Africa?
- C.V. Barría; S. Klase / International Research Initiative on Brazil and Africa, 2014
- In Brazil, the National Service for Industrial Training (SENAI) has existed for decades as the main building block of the Brazilian S-system of vocational training. It is a private non-profit organisation, managed and led by industria...
- Home Grown School Feeding and social protection
- S. Devereux; R. Sabates-Wheeler; A.P. Martínez / Home Grown School Feeding, 2010
- This paper argues that Home Grown School Feeding (HGSF) programmes have great potential to deliver various social protection benefits, not only for schoolchildren and their families but also for food supplying farmers. The pape...
- Which countries are preparing for old age?
- R. Jackson; N. Howe; K. Nakashima / Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, 2011
- The Global Aging Preparedness Index (or GAP Index) aims to provide a comprehensive assessment of the progress that countries are making in preparing for global ageing, and particularly the “old-age dependency” dimension of...
- Consequences of maternal and child undernutrition on adult health and human capital
- C. G. Victora / The Lancet, 2008
- This paper reviews the associations between maternal and child undernutrition with human capital and risk of adult diseases in low-income and middle-income countries. Data is analysed from five long-standing prospective cohort s...
- Conditional cash transfer programmes and child labour
- G. I. Hirata / International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth, 2008
- Conditional cash transfer (CCT) programmes provide cash to poor households. In return, the households are expected to meet the conditionalities attached to schooling, among others. Several evaluations have found positive impacts on pr...
- Participation in Rio de Janeiro
- U.M. Butler; M. Princeswal / LSE Research Online, 2008
- Recently there has been increased enthusiasm for the participation of children and young people in various sectors of society. This has resulted in an emerging critique of the use and abuse of terms such as ‘participation&r...
- Progress made in treating children with AIDS and preventing mother to child transmission of HIV
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, 2008
- This United Nations report shows progress in treating children with AIDS and preventing mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV, but urges greater efforts to stem the tide of the global epidemic. The report examines progress and c...
- Analysing education and school-to-work transitions amongst young people in Brazil
- L. Guarcello; F.C. Rosati; P. Scaramozzino / Understanding Children’s Work (UCW) Programme, 2008
- This paper develops a model of investment in education and school-to-work transition under uncertainty, using Brazil as a case study. The main predictions of the model are confirmed by the empirical evidence on young individuals in li...