Bandar Seri Begawan
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- What does Brunei teach us about using Human Development Index rankings as a policy tool?
- B. Michael (ed) / Social Science Research Network 2014
- The Bruneian Government has set an ambitious target to achieve a top 10 ranking on the UNDP’s Human Development Index (HDI) by 2035. To achieve its objective (described in a national strategy document called the Wawasan 2035), B...
- Have Islamic banks been more resistant than conventional banks to the 2007-2008 financial crisis?
- K. Bourkhis; M.S. Nabi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- The recent global financial crisis has induced a series of failures of many conventional banks; in this context, many economists advocate for the return to narrow banking and/or for favouring the development of Islamic banking, suppos...
- Cyclicality of fiscal behavior in developing oil-producing countries: an empirical review
- N. Erbil / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Oil price volatility has increased in recent years, where these large, unpredictable swings have a major impact on fiscal balances in developing oil-producing economies. This paper examines the cyclicality of fiscal behaviour in 28 de...
- East Asian infrastructure development in a comparative global perspective: an analysis of RIS infrastructure index
- N Kumar; P De / Research and Information System for Developing Countries 2008
- Development of infrastructure is one of the key priorities of East Asia Summit (EAS) countries. By constructing an Infrastructure Index for 104 countries comprising all the EAS members, this paper examines the levels of infrastructure...
- South China Sea: emerging security architecture
- T. Singh / Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, India 2012
- The South China Sea (SCS) dispute has become a flash point in Southeast Asia. The dispute is between the five countries of Southeast Asia, China and Taiwan. In the process of strengthening their claims, these countries are strengtheni...
- Emerging security architecture in Southeast & East Asia: growing tensions in South China Sea
- S. Gupta / Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, India 2013
- This essay looks at the region of South China Sea in the context of the recent shifts in foreign policy and changes in the ground situation. The author demonstrates that South China Sea region sits astride crucial sea-lanes of communi...
- Home care for older people: the experience of ASEAN countries
- HelpAge International 2014
- Without adequate universal pension schemes and healthcare in place to ensure a basic standard of living, older people’s families and communities will find it difficult to comprehensively meet the needs of older people. The aim o...
- The need for community-based home care for older people in South East Asia
- HelpAge International 2011
- This paper outlines the growing need for community-based home care for older people in South East Asia. It explains the model of home care introduced by HelpAge Korea in collaboration with HelpAge International in the 10 countries of ...
- Improving security and justice through security sector reform
- N. Bagayoko-Penone / Eldis Gateway to Development and Environment Information 2010
- Since the late 1990s, security sector reform (SSR) has emerged as a principal activity for promoting peace and stability, and a priority for donors in post-conflict countries. This issue of insights explores the concept of SSR as a co...
- A review of achieving EFA goals in Southeast Asia
- UNESCO Bangkok: Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education 2004
- This report reviews the status and progress made by the countries of the Southeast Asian region towards achieving the six EFA goals since 2000. It presents data on core basic education indicators for 2000-2001. The goals refer to: ear...