Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Gender, livestock and reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Costa Rica
- C.R. Farnworth / Climate Change Agriculture Food Security 2016
- Costa Rica is developing a Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Action (NAMA) that will provide climate finance for best livestock management practices that generate climate change mitigation benefits. The LivestockPlus research project,...
- Disabling the steering wheel? National and international actors' climate change mitigation strategies in Latin America
- German Institute of Global and Area Studies 2015
- The Latin American region holds important potential for mitigation and has a long?standing tradition of crafting policies and drafting legislation on climate change. This article addresses the question of how Brazil, Costa Rica, and C...
- Learning from 20 years of payments for ecosystem services in Costa Rica
- International Institute for Environment and Development 2013
- In 1996, the tiny country of Costa Rica took bold steps to initiate one of the first nationalised ‘payments for ecosystem services’ (PES) programmes. The programme has grown tremendously, as the first chapter of this paper...
- Work, family and public policy changes in Latin America: equity, maternalism and co-responsibility
- M. Blofield; J. Martínez / United Nations [UN] Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean 2014
- Taking account of the substantial increase in female labour market participation that has occurred throughout the Latin American region, this article describes policies adopted with the aim of reconciling work and family responsibilit...
- Nature Index Costa Rica: an IPBES pilot project
- D.N. Barton / Norwegian Institute for Nature Research 2014
- The “Nature Index Costa Rica” (NI-CR) has been a one-year pilot project to demonstrate and promote the capacity-building objectives of the Intergovernmental Platform on ...
- REDD: A Collection of Conflicts, Contradictions and Lies
- World Rainforest Movement 2015
- The complexity of REDD initiatives from another perspective. REDD: A Collection of Conflicts, Contradictions and Lies presents summaries of reports from 24 REDD projects or programmes with a common character...
- Violations of indigenous peoples' territorial rights: the example of Costa Rica
- Forest Peoples Programme 2014
- Costa Rica, the subject of this article, is an upper middle income country that is widely regarded as having a generally positive human rights record. It has also avoided the violent conflicts and political instability that have chara...
- Exchange rate regimes for post-conflict recovery
- I. Elbadawi; R. Soto / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2013
- The economic agenda for post-conflict transition has been dominated by issues of aid effectiveness. This paper argues that the received literature has largely ignored the important issue of what constitutes an optimal exchange rate an...
- Fair company–community partnerships in palm oil development
- A. Beekmans; J.W. Molenaar; J. Dallinger / Oxfam 2014
- This discussion paper argues that palm oil production can lead to greenhouse gas emissions, land grabs and exploitation. But, it says that sustainable production, investment and sourcing can create benefits for the climate and communi...
- Payments for ecosystem services schemes: project-level insights on benefits for ecosystems and the rural poor.
- G Kissinger; C Patterson; H Neufeldt / World Agroforestry Centre 2013
- Payments for ecosystem services (PES) provide a market based instrument to motivate changes in land use that degrade ecosystem services. This investigation sought to better understand how effective PES sc...