Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- A practical guide to social audit as a participatory tool to strengthen democratic governance, transparency and accountability
- United Nations Development Programme 2011
- This Practical Guide analyses social auditing experiences around the world and extracts important lessons that intend to provide practical guidance to United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and other United Nations agencies officer...
- Women on the run: first-hand accounts of refugees fleeing El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees 2015
- The refugee crisis currently playing out around the world is almost unprecedented in living memory. Not since World War II have so many people been forcibly displaced. While conflict in Syria and the resulting flows of people seeking ...
- Evaluating the impact of closing a community managed schools programme in El Salvador
- International Initiative for Impact Evaluation 2015
- School-based management (SBM) is considered a low-cost way of making public spending on education more efficient by increasing the accountability of the agents and empowering clients to improve learning outcomes. By putting power in t...
- Annotated bibliography on developmental states, political settlements and citizenship formation: towards increased state capacity and legitimacy?
- L. Routley / Effective States and Inclusive Development Research Centre 2012
- Policymakers and academics agree that an effective state is the foundation for inclusive development, whilst also recognising the critical role of non-state actors in the delivery of goods and services to poor people. This compilation...
- Shelter from the storm: upgrading housing infrastructure in Latin American slums
- International Initiative for Impact Evaluation 2013
- Adequate housing, along with food and clothing, is considered by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a basic requirement for achieving a minimum living standard. Yet, inadequate housing, a primary characteristic of slum dwell...
- Gender and Food Security In Brief
- G. Aboud; M. Ballara; A. Brody / BRIDGE 2015
- This In Brief argues that tackling gender injustice and truly empowering women is not only a fundamental prerequisite for improving food and nutrition security. It needs to be seen as a goal in its own right. In Brief sets out a preli...
- Unaccompanied alien children: potential factors contributing to recent immigration
- Federation of American Scientists 2014
- In the past several years, and in the past year in particular, the number of unaccompanied alien children (UAC) seeking to enter the United States along the U.S.-Mexico border has surged to unusually high levels. This surge is driven ...
- Unaccompanied alien children: an overview
- L. Seghetti; A. Siskin; R.E. Wasem / Federation of American Scientists 2014
- The number of unaccompanied alien children (UAC) arriving in the United States is straining the system put in place over the past decade to handle such cases. UAC are defined in statute as children who lack lawful immigration status i...
- Cyberspace & open empowerment in Latin America
- Igarape Institute 2013
- With some 40% of the population now online, connectivity is expanding in Latin America faster than in any other part of the world. Correspondingly, across Latin America, governments have been struggling to keep up with the pace and ra...
- Incentives for electricity generation in a green economy: effective frameworks from Latin America
- J. Russell / Evidence and Lessons from Latin America 2014
- Latin American countries are implementing innovative policy and market mechanisms to catalyse the development of nonconventional renewable energy sources. This Brief presents some of the region’s success stories. In 2...