Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Interrogating Decentralisation in Africa
- Shandana Khan Mohmand (ed); M. Loureiro (ed) / Institute of Development Studies UK 2017
- This issue of the Open Access IDS Bulletin examines the impact of decentralisation at the local level through detailed case studies of five countries Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia. The issue deals with all three of...
- Balancing coal mining and conservation in South-West Ethiopia
- K.K. Suleman / South African Institute of International Affairs 2017
- Ethiopia is confronted by the challenges of a growing population and a diminishing natural resources base. The countrys economic growth has relied heavily on agriculture, but progress in this sector has been hampered by ...
- Patterns and drivers of internal migration among youth in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam
- M.F. Gavonel / Young Lives 2017
- There is general consensus in literature on migration that migrants are primarily young people. During the transition to adulthood, young people make important choices regarding education, labour force participation, and famil...
- Innovative risk finance solutions – Insights for geothermal power development in Kenya and Ethiopia
- Paula Rolffs; J. Richardson; A. Amin / Climate and Development Knowledge Network 2017
- Geothermal development is on the rise in many regions of the world. However, the high costs of field development, coupled with the high risks associated with resource exploration and drilling, still pose a significant barrier to ...
- Increasing evidence use among Ethiopia’s health planners and policymakers
- M. Sudhakar; M. Woldie / International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications 2016
- Between 2015 and 2016, Jimma University developed and ran a training and mentoring programme with the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health to improve the Ministrys capacity for using evidence in policy making. This case study di...
- Young women’s household bargaining power in marriage and parenthood in Ethiopia
- N. Chuta / Young Lives 2017
- In Ethiopian government policy, marriage under the age of 18 is considered early marriage or child marriage and is categorised as a harmful traditional practice. Efforts to tackle harmful traditional pr...
- Understanding children’s experiences of violence in Ethiopia: evidence from Young Lives
- A. Pankhurst; N. Negussie; E. Mulugeta / Young Lives 2016
- Violence affecting children in many forms is widespread in Ethiopia, and indeed in sub-Saharan Africa more generally. Physical, emotional and sexual violence in the home and community are commonplace; however, the underlying f...
- The interplay between community, household and child level influences on trajectories to early marriage in Ethiopia
- A. Pankhurst; A. Tiumelissan; N. Chuta / Young Lives 2016
- Child marriage is a global concern and a priority issue for the African Union; the Ethiopian government has devised a strategy to eliminate the practice by 2025. This paper analyses Young Lives survey and qualit...
- Scaling-up early learning in Ethiopia: exploring the potential of O-Class
- M. Woodhead; J. Rossiter; A. Dawes; A. Pankhurst / Young Lives 2017
- SDG Target 4.2 identifies pre-primary education as a strategy to strengthen school readiness and contribute to the quality and outcomes of education, which is supported by the powerful evidence from evaluation rese...
- Own ways of doing: national pride, power and China’s political calculus in Ethiopia
- R. Dittgen; A.A. Demissie / South African Institute of International Affairs 2017
- Chinas evolving position as a key economic actor in Africa, a diplomatic heavyweight in local conflict resolution and a new entrant into peacekeeping, security co-operation and capacity building, illustrates significant ...