Ethiopia and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Strong girls, powerful women: program planning and design for adolescent girls in humanitarian settings
- K. Paik / Women's Refugee Commission, 2014
- In collaboration with implementing partners, the Women’s Refugee Commission tested promising approaches in adolescent girls’ programming by applying the learning from development contexts in pilot programmes in three displ...
- Children’s agency in responding to shocks and adverse events in Ethiopia
- N. Chuta / Young Lives, 2014
- Even if shock is a routine part of the existence of many children, poorer children are disproportionately affected and experience slightly different and greater impact. This paper is about children’s experiences of ...
- Land Access and youth livelihood opportunities in Southern Ethiopia
- S. Bezu; S.T. Holden / Norwegian University of Life Sciences, 2013
- This study aims to examine current land access and youth livelihood opportunities in Southern Ethiopia. Access to agricultural land is a constitutional right for rural residents of Ethiopia. We used survey data from the relatively lan...
- Beyond food security: transforming the PSNP in Ethiopia for the well-being of children
- Y. Tafere (ed); T. Woldehanna (ed) / Young Lives, 2012
- Using Young Lives survey and qualitative data collected in 2006 and 2009 among rural households and children in Ethiopia, this paper investigates the possible impacts of the Productive Safety Net Programme (PSNP) on children’s w...
- Understanding childhood poverty as a multidimensional concept
- P. Dornan; J. Boyden 2011
- This paper discusses the methodology of Young Lives - a 15-year study of childhood poverty in Ethiopia, India, Vietnam and Peru, following the lives of 3,000 children in each country. The Young Lives programme is interested in c...
- What issues drive female child marriage and circumcision in Ethiopia?
- J. Boyden; A. Pankhurst; Y. Tafere / Young Lives, 2013
- Focusing on Ethiopia, this paper explores local perspectives on female child marriage and circumcision. Both practices are widespread in Ethiopia and reflect deep-rooted patriarchal and gerontocratic values regulating women’s re...
- Children afflicted by poverty can be agents of its alleviation - evidence from Ethiopia
- Y. Tafere / Young Lives, 2012
- Children can be more than just victims of poverty; they can be agents of its alleviation. This paper presents Ethiopian children’s and young people’s perceptions of poverty based on their own experiences. The p...
- Decisive strategies towards fair schooling are required in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam
- H. Murray / Young Lives, 2012
- Millions of poor children and families are investing scarce resources in going to school, in the hope that it will lead to a better life. This paper looks at children’s unequal trajectories from early childhood through to the ti...
- Is School Education Breaking the Cycle of Poverty for Children: Factors Shaping Education Inequalities in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam
- H. Murray / Young Lives, 2012
- School education is held up as an escape route from poverty. Millions of poor children and families are buying into this promise and often investing scarce resources in going to school, in the hope that it will lead to a b...
- Changing Educational Aspirations of Children Living in Poverty in Ethiopia
- Y. Tafere / Young Lives, 2010
- Using both qualitative and quantitative data, this paper examines the changing educational and occupational aspirations and educational achievements of children living in poor communities in Ethiopia. The results suggest that children...