Gambia and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Cultural protection against traumatic stress: traditional support of children exposed to the ritual of female genital cutting
- J. H. Schultz; I. L. Lien / Dove Medical Press 2014
- This study explores the factors addressed in folk psychology in The Gambia for protecting the girl-child from the potential traumatic stress of female genital cutting (FGC). The type and quality of the psychological care was analyzed ...
- Determinants of appropriate child health and nutrition practices among women in rural Gambia
- M. Mwangome; A. Prentice; E. Plugge / Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition 2010
- This study aimed at exploring the factors determining mothers’ choices of appropriate child health and nutrition practices in the Gambia. Eight focus-group discussions (FGDs) were held with 63 women whose children had been seen ...
- Leptin Malnutrition and Immune Response in Rural Gambian Children
- S.E. Moore; G. Morgan; A.C. Collinson / British Medical Journal 2002
- The adipocyte derived hormone, leptin has cytokine-like function and may mediate the effects of starvation on immunity. This study aims to describe the in vivo relation of leptin and immune function in children. Fasting plasma leptin ...
- Female headed households and their children in the Gambia, the Philippines and Costa Rica
- S. Chant / LSE Research Online 2007
- Are women really the ‘poorest of the poor’, and are their children really disproportionately afflicted by an ‘inter-generational transmission of disadvantage’? A mounting body of evidence suggests that ho...
- Does orphanhood affect child labour and school attendance in Africa?
- L. Guarcello; S. Lyon; F. Rosati; C.A. Valdivia / Understanding Children’s Work (UCW) Programme 2004
- This paper looks at whether orphanhood is linked to child labour and school attendance. It presents the extent and nature of the orphanhood phenomenon, including orphan rates, distribution of orphans by category (i.e., maternal, pater...
- Guidelines on the IMCI could make significant contribution to mortality reduction
- S. Gove / World Health Organization 1997
- This article, published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, describes the technical basis for the guidelines for the integrated management of childhood illness (IMCI), which are presented in the WHO/UNICEF training cours...