Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Smallholders at risk: monoculture expansion, land, food and livelihoods in Latin America
- A. Guereña; S. Burgos / Oxfam 2014
- Greater investment in agriculture is needed to reduce rural poverty and improve food security; but how investment is made, its context and conditions, is at least as important as how much is invested. Case studies of large-scal...
- A practical guide to social audit as a participatory tool to strengthen democratic governance, transparency and accountability
- United Nations Development Programme 2011
- This Practical Guide analyses social auditing experiences around the world and extracts important lessons that intend to provide practical guidance to United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and other United Nations agencies officer...
- Women on the run: first-hand accounts of refugees fleeing El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees 2015
- The refugee crisis currently playing out around the world is almost unprecedented in living memory. Not since World War II have so many people been forcibly displaced. While conflict in Syria and the resulting flows of people seeking ...
- Policy reform for sustainable energy in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Organization of the American States 2004
- This article describes the potential of sustainable energy technologies including renewables and energy efficiency to significantly reduce fossil fuel use for electricity production in Latin America and the Caribbean. It highli...
- MenCare in Latin America: challenging harmful masculine norms and promoting positive changes in men’s caregiving
- S. José Santos / Institute of Development Studies UK 2015
- It is estimated that 80 per cent of men will become fathers during their lifetimes, making clear the importance of, and opportunity for, engaging men and boys in care giving. This study details the implementation and impact of ...
- By the gun or by the bribe: Firm size, environmental governance and corruption among mining companies in Guatemala
- M.L. Dougherty / U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre 2015
- This U4 Issue discusses the corruption risks faced by mining companies in Guatemala, with a particular focus on the risks faced by small, “junior” mining companies primarily engaged in exploration. Several factors make suc...
- MenCare in the public health sector in Central America: engaging health providers to reach men for gender equality in maternal, sexual, and reproductive health
- Promundo 2015
- Of all the topics discussed in engaging men in gender equality, the issue of men and caregiving, including men’s involvement in maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH), remains absent and underexplored. Yet, to achieve greate...
- Guatemalan school food environment: impact on schoolchildren's risk of both undernutrition and overweight/obesity
- E.L. Pehlke; P. Letona; K. Hurley; J. Gittelsohn / Health Promotion International 2015
- Guatemala suffers the double burden of malnutrition with high rates of stunting alongside increasing childhood overweight/obesity. This study examines the school food environment (SFE) at low-income Guatemalan elementary schools and d...
- Norway’s municipal international cooperation - results achieved and lessons learnt
- J. Holm-Hansen / Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research 2015
- Municipal International Cooperation (1997-2014) was a programme involving municipalities in Norway and the Global South. It was managed by the Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities (KS) and financed by the Ministry o...
- Building a state that works for women: integrating gender into post-conflict state building
- C Castillejo / Fride 2013
- What role do women play in statebuilding? How do statebuilding processes affect women's participation? Support for statebuilding has become the dominant model for international engagement in post-conflict contexts, yet donor approache...