Haiti and Governance
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS governance collection
Search for the latest governance-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Haiti gender shadow report: ensuring Haitian women's participation and leadership in all stages of national relief and reconstruction
- Haiti Gender Equality Collective, 2010
- Following the devastating January 12, 2010 earthquake, Haiti's government, supported by the World Bank, led an ambitious Post-Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA)-an operative blueprint for reconstruction. Astonishingly, the PDNA failed t...
- "State of fragility."
- A. Gauthier; M. Moita / Fride, 2010
- The end of the dictatorship was supposed to promise freedom, respect of human rights, economic growth and better living conditions for Haitians. But during the past two decades, struggles for power, turbulent and fraudulent elections,...
- Monitoring of election commissions: the UN's role in ensuring free and fair elections
- E. Joseph / The New York Times, 2008
- This New York Times article advocates for the establishment of a United Nations monitoring unit devoted to the work of election commissions. The author makes the argument that the international community’s typical election assis...
- Strong links between freedom of the press and economic growth in Latin America
- H. Alberro / Centro para la Apertura y el Desarollo de América Latina / Centre for the Opening and Development of, 2008
- This report seeks to disentangle and analyse the relationship between indicators of press freedom, economic liberty and economic development in Latin America. It considers press freedom and economic development in a historical perspec...
- How can donors ensure fair and transparent political financing in post-conflict situations
- J. Fischer (ed); M. Walecki (ed); J. Carlson (ed) / International Foundation for Election Systems, 2006
- In post-conflict situations political finance system must ensure limitations on, support for and accountability of funding for political parties, candidates and other electoral participants. This study of political finance in post-con...
- How can Haiti maintain its fragile stability?
- International Crisis Group, 2007
- This document discusses the security challenges facing Haiti’s President, René Préval. It also looks at some of the successes and areas of weaknesses before putting forward recommendations to UN agencies, the inter...
- id21 viewpoint Should We Dump the North-South Lens?
- Jon Tinker / id21 Development Research Reporting Service, 2007
- The development community is visually challenged. Our analyses and policies are suspect because we do not see the world as it is, but how it used to be. We are half-blinded by our 50-year-old eyeglasses. The North-South par...
- Can Haiti overcome its challenges alone?
- R.M. Perito / United States Institute of Peace, 2007
- This document presents a report which reviews the events of the past year in Haiti, and its prospects for the future. It particularly focuses on the role played by Haiti’s new President, René Préval in the areas of...
- A step-by-step guide to election processes and cost
- United Nations Development Programme, 2006
- This document is a step-by-step guide to election processes around the world. It explains what measures need to be in place, from voter registration to ballot-box security, and at what price, before the first ballot is cast. The repor...
- Post-war and disaster reconstruction programmes: who profits?
- Focus on the Global South, 2006
- This publication addresses some of the key issues and challenges that accompany post war and post disaster reconstruction programmes. The collection of articles in this publication range from analysing the economic and political restr...