India and Health
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- Child underweight, land productivity and public services: a district-level analysis for India
- S.S. Vepa; B. Viswanathan; R. Parasar; R.V. Bhavani / Leveraging Agriculture for Nutrition in South Asia 2016
- Though Indias rank has improved in the Global Hunger Index, contributed largely by the fall in the underweight rates for children, concerns of high level of undernutrition in predominantly agricultural pockets remain. This study...
- Do boys eat better than girls in India?
- Young Lives 2016
- This paper examines gender inequalities in the quality of childrens diet, as defined by dietary diversity, among children growing up in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Dietary diversity is a fundamental aspect of good nutrition: a...
- Improving Access to Health for Women and Girls in Low-income Urban Settlements
- L Murphy; C Smithyes (ed) / Institute of Development Studies UK 2016
- The world is becoming increasingly urbanised. Over one third of urban dwellers now reside in low-income urban settlements, where living conditions are often inadequate and there exist multiple barriers to access to health services for...
- Morbidity patterns in Kerala: levels and determinants
- K. Navaneetham; M. Kabir; C. S. Krishnakumar / Centre for Development Studies, Kerala, India 2009
- This paper examines the levels, patterns, and determinants of morbidity in Kerala. This study is based on a community survey conducted in 2004, in three districts of the state namely Thiruvananthapuram, Malappuram and Kannur. The surv...
- Making health insurance work for the poor: learning from the Self-Employed Women’s Association’s (SEWA) community-based health insurance scheme in India
- M. Kent Ranson / Social Science and Medicine 2006
- The purpose of this paper is to measure the distributional impact of a large community-based health insurance (CBHI) scheme in Gujarat, India, which reimburses hospitalisation costs, and to identify barriers to optimal distributional ...
- ‘Show me the Evidence’: Mobilisation, Citizenship and Risk in Indian Asbestos Issues
- L. Waldman / Institute of Development Studies UK 2009
- This paper examines asbestos issues, mobilisation and citizenship in India. It shows how asbestos has been considered as a tool for Indian economic growth and modernisation and explores the scientific debates around its ‘safe&rs...
- Costs of basic services in Kerala, 2007: education, health, childbirth and finance (loans)
- K. C. Zachariah; R. S. Irudaya / Centre for Development Studies, Kerala, India 2008
- This Working Paper focuses on the pattern and costs of services in four areas, which critically affect most households in Kerala. The major concerns of this Working Paper include answers to questions such as: How much d...
- India Health Report: Nutrition 2015
- N. Raykar / Public Health Foundation of India 2015
- This report surveys the trends in maternal and child undernutrition in India. It looks at trends and disparities in these outcomes across geographical regions, socio-economic classes, and demographic groups. Tackling under...
- Improving maternal and child health in India: evaluating demand and supply side strategies (IMATCHINE)
- International Initiative for Impact Evaluation 2015
- Over the past decade, the Central government and various State governments in India have introduced a range of programs aimed at improving maternal health indicators. A central feature of several of the new programs is to encourage pr...
- “If we eat well, we can study”: Dietary diversity in the everyday lives of children in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, India
- E. Aurino; V. Morrow / Young Lives 2015
- Dietary diversity refers to the number of foods consumed over a specific period of time. Research shows that dietary diversity is associated with the appropriate intake of essential macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats and proteins) an...