India and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Targeting girls’ education: effects of gender targeting on enrollment, retention, and learning in rural Rajasthan
- Population Studies Center, University of Michigan, 2014
- Using a randomised experiment in rural Rajasthan, India, this paper evaluates the effectiveness of an education program aimed to increase girls’ retention, enrollment and learning. While enrollment and community sensitisation we...
- Economics behind forced labour trafficking: comprehensive case studies of child domestic labour and commercial sexual exploitation
- Global March Against Child Labour, 2014
- Millions of children and young women are trafficked around the world for forced labour. Trafficking for forced labour as we define in our paper is not restricted to any particular form or industry - it takes place for commercial sexua...
- Parents’ perspectives on quality of schooling in Andhra Pradesh, India
- V. Morrow; E. Wilson / Young Lives, 2014
- The post-MDG development agenda recognises that simply getting children enrolled in school does not equate with better learning outcomes for children. This paper is based on analysis of in-depth interviews with parents of child...
- Dirty cotton - a research on child labour, slavery, trafficking and exploitation in cotton and cotton seed farming in India
- Global March Against Child Labour, 2012
- The introduction of genetically modified or BT cotton in India has increased the demand for cheap labour. Recognising the need to understand and address the growing concern over the engagement of children in the cotton industry ...
- Prioritising nutrition in order to achieve the MDGs in India
- V. Kumar / Young Lives, 2012
- Malnutrition causes long-term damage to children’s development, with huge social and economic costs. It affects not only children’s physical development but also their cognitive development, so reducing future productivity...
- Understanding childhood poverty as a multidimensional concept
- P. Dornan; J. Boyden 2011
- This paper discusses the methodology of Young Lives - a 15-year study of childhood poverty in Ethiopia, India, Vietnam and Peru, following the lives of 3,000 children in each country. The Young Lives programme is interested in c...
- Dignity is part of the empowerment framework to escape childhood poverty
- U. Vennam; J. Andharia / Young Lives, 2012
- In recent years there has been growing interest in researching the dynamics of poverty, including the poverty mobility of households and communities. This paper is a part of a longitudinal study that seeks to improve understanding of ...
- Decisive strategies towards fair schooling are required in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam
- H. Murray / Young Lives, 2012
- Millions of poor children and families are investing scarce resources in going to school, in the hope that it will lead to a better life. This paper looks at children’s unequal trajectories from early childhood through to the ti...
- Is School Education Breaking the Cycle of Poverty for Children: Factors Shaping Education Inequalities in Ethiopia, India, Peru and Vietnam
- H. Murray / Young Lives, 2012
- School education is held up as an escape route from poverty. Millions of poor children and families are buying into this promise and often investing scarce resources in going to school, in the hope that it will lead to a b...
- Determinants of Child Labour: The Case of Andhra Pradesh
- S. Krutikova / Young Lives, 2009
- This study examines the extent to which child labour is explained by the main determinants proposed in the literature, focusing on three determinants: income shocks, household composition and parental preferences. In addition, it exam...
- Save the Children India
- Child rights organisation in India
- The Goodwill Social Work Centre
- The Goodwill Social Work Centre aims to: promote the overall development of children, youth and women in rural and urban areas in India, who are socially and economically deprived provide family-centred home-based intensive services to children, youth and women in dysfunctional families in slums and backward areas in India sensitise rural and ur...
- The Concerned for Working Children (CWC)
Promoting a society free of child labour
- Urban Health Resource Centre (UHRC)
- Indian urban health network
- Butterflies, India
- Butterflies is an NGO that works with street children in Delhi, India. The organisations programmes include education, health, saving schemes, a crisis centre, children's media, and vocational training. Butterflies has a research and advocacy centre that focuses on child rights issues. These include nutritional status of street children child labour non formal education Butter...
- Mamidipudi Venkatarangaiya Foundation (MVF)
- Action against child labour in India
- National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCC)
- Organisation coordinating and promoting child-focused social development
- HAQ Centre for Child Rights
- Centre for child rights
- Centre for Women's Development Studies (CWDS)
- Indian research centre specialising in gender-based research
- Indicus Analytics
- Indian economics research firm