Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Women and Girls Safe Spaces - A guidance note based on lessons learned from the Syrian Crisis
- M Maglietti; J Miquel / United Nations Population Fund 2015
- The creation of women and girls safe spaces (WGSS) has emerged as a key strategy for the protection and empowerment of women and girls affected by the Syrian crisis. This document provides an overview of what safe spaces are and what ...
- Understanding democratic transition using self-organizing maps: a special focus on Arab spring countries
- H. Haffoudhi; R. Mehdi; G. Abdelkader / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2015
- In December 2010, a popular protest movement erupted in Tunisia and spread to Egypt, Libya, and across the Middle East. However, although “Arab Spring” countries began in roughly similar places, the current paper clarifies...
- Capacity building in the Ministry of Interior in Fragile and Post-conflict Countries
- E. Lopez Lucia (ed) / Governance and Social Development Resource Centre 2015
- This Helpdesk Report responds to the following query: Capacity building in the Ministry of Interior in fragile and post-conflict countries: Research and evidence on institutional capacity building in the Ministry of Interior in fragil...
- Cost assessment of environmental degradation in the Middle East and North Africa region – selected issues
- B. Larsen / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- This paper estimates the cost of inadequate potable water, sanitation and hygiene, outdoor air pollution, and cropland degradation in 16 countries of the Arab League. The paper pointes that the 16 countries under study represent great...
- Sustainable development and environmental challenges in the MENA region: accounting for the environment in the 21st century
- S.L. Sakmar; M. Wackernagel; A. Galli / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Although many of MENA’s economic challenges have been widely analysed, environmental challenges are rarely taken into consideration in the process of formulating economic policies in the region. This paper addresses the major ga...
- Formal and informal policing in Iraq
- S. Rao (ed) / Governance and Social Development Resource Centre 2014
- This Helpdesk Report responds to the following query: Identify literature on improving public security in Iraq through formal and informal policing mechanisms. Within the literature there seems to be a number of common them...
- Iraq policy of the United States: dimensions of failure
- H. Ansari / Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi 2007
- The invasion and occupation of Iraq in March-April 2003 by a 'Coalition of the Willing' led by the United States was the second part of the response to the outrage conducted by a non-state actor on September 11, 2001. This was perceiv...
- Lebanon: caught in the regional crossfire
- A Tharoor / Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi 2014
- Lebanon has a rich, diverse and millennia-old history and culture, but the nation has often encountered internal and external insecurity. The modern day state the (Republic of Lebanon) is the smallest nation in continental Asia (compa...
- Autocracies, democratization and development in the Arab region
- S. Makdisi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- This paper focuses on the relationship between economic, political and historical factors in current Arab countries. The paper indicates that in the post second world war period, Arab political institutions generally have not been ope...
- Creating incentives for more effective wastewater reuse in the Middle East and North Africa
- M. Jeuland / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Systematic water recycling remains rare in many arid and semi-arid countries, for example in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This paper argues that much of the relative failure to make greater use of reclaimed wastewater in M...