Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- The East African energy frontier, a decade on
- A. Hayman / South African Institute of International Affairs 2016
- The East Africa region has seen some of the decade s largest natural gas and energy finds. However, despite their magnitude, these discoveries have yet to fulfil the promise of social and economic progress. With some sig...
- What do community health workers have to say about their work, and how can this inform improved programme design? A case study with CHWs within Kenya
- Martin Oliver / Global Health Action 2015
- Community health workers (CHWs) are used increasingly in the world to address shortages of health workers and the lack of a pervasive national health system. However, while their role is often described at a policy level, it is not cl...
- Becoming a climate-resilient green economy: planning for climate compatible development in Ethiopia
- R. Redda; R. Roland / Climate and Development Knowledge Network 2016
- Ethiopia has emerged as one of Africas champions in responding to the implications of climate change. This is demonstrated by the strong commitment shown by the countrys political leadership on the issues. Much of ...
- Case studies on UNICEF programming in child protection
- United Nations Children's Fund 2014
- These case studies illustrate how UNICEF support is helping countries to strengthen child protection systems and promote social change to align social norms and practices with child protection. The case studies provide evidence of pos...
- Access, Services and Knowledge (ASK) Programme - essential packages manual
- Youth Empowerment Alliance 2014
- The Essential Packages Manual was produced as part of the "Access, Services and Knowledge" (ASK) programme of the Youth Empowerment Alliance, which seeks to improve the sexual and reproductive health rights (SRHR) of young people (15-...
- Engaging local media in VMMC scale-up: a case study from Kenya
- Kenya National AIDS and STI Control Programme 2015
- This case study discusses how media can play a positive role in promoting voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC) as part of HIV prevention efforts, or can fuel fears and discourage VMMC through sensationalist, inaccurate, or negat...
- A Kenyan newspaper analysis of the limitations of voluntary medical male circumcision and the importance of sustained condom use
- BMC Public Health 2015
- This analysis of Kenyan media treatment of condom use has the objectives of: (1) investigating promotion messages in a popular online newspaper to determine how the limitations of male circumcision are represented, and whether condom ...
- Cost and returns of renewable energy in sub-saharan Africa
- A. Pueyo / Institute of Development Studies, Sussex [ES] 2016
- The allocation of finance for the provision of green electricity in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) should be informed by two questions. Which generation technologies are financially viable? And which generation technologies are affordable? ...
- Violent extremism in Africa: public opinion from the Sahel, Lake Chad, and the Horn
- Afrobarometer 2016
- Over the past two decades, the threat posed by violent extremist groups that espouse fundamentalist religious narratives has grown substantially across Africa (Hallowanger, 2014). The colonial era and the undemocratic rule tha...
- Alliances for Religions and Conservations (ARC) “Faith Engagement in Climate Smart Agriculture and Sustainable Land Management in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda
- P. Vedeld; C. J. Cavanagh; J. B. Aune / Noragric, Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences 2015
- This is a desk appraisal of the Alliances for Religions and Conservations (ARC) done for the Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) by the Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Noragric, at the...