Kenya and Environment
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS environment collection
Search for the latest environment-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Report on fieldwork from around the world documenting loss and damage due to climate change
- K. Warner; K. van der Geest; S. Kreft / United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security, 2012
- This study presents empirical findings from fieldwork around the world examining loss and damage caused by global warming. The report begins by defining and contextualising the emerging discourse on assessing, quantifying and reacting...
- The future of environmental sustainability in the Taita Hills, Kenya: assessing potential impacts of agricultural expansion and climate change
- E. Maeda / Fennia, 2012
- The indigenous cloud forests in the Taita Hills, Kenya, have suffered substantial degradation due to agricultural expansion. Currently, only one per cent of the original forested area remains preserved. Furthermore, climate change imp...
- The politics of agricultural carbon finance: the case of the Kenya Agricultural Carbon Project
- J. O. Atela / STEPS Centre, Institute of Development Studies, 2012
- In the context of major scientific and policy concern with the causes and implications of climate change, various actors are now keen to demonstrate how agricultural carbon finance can help achieve multiple benefits or triple wi...
- Safe drinking water: who is willing to pay the price?
- C. Chapoy (ed); C. Null / International Initiative for Impact Evaluation, 2012
- This briefing, the second issue of the Evidence Matters series, distills policy relevant evidence from a recent 3ie systematic review ‘Willingness to pay for cleaner water in less developed countries". The review summarises rese...
- Livelihood sustainability through raising community capacity for fisheries/coastal management (RACCOM) in Lamu Archipelago, Lamu District, Kenya
- J. Kareko / Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation - NORAD, 2011
- The goal of this project was to enhance livelihood sustainability through participatory planning and management of coastal fisheries resource utilization and conservation. Its main purpose was to strengthen the capacity of communities...
- From privatisation to corporatisation and the need for a counter-strategy
- J. E. Magdahl / Association for International Water and Forest Studies, Norway, 2012
- This report explores the development from privatisation to corporatisation within neoliberal policy on urban water services in developing countries. The findings call for the water justice movement to update and adjust its strategy, i...
- Implementing Farmers’ Rights under the FAO International Treaty on PGRFA: The need for a Broad Approach based on Biocultural Heritage
- K Swiderska / International Institute for Environment and Development, 2011
- The FAO Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture (PGRFA) seeks to protect Farmers’ Rights through equitable benefit-sharing from the use of farmers’ crop varieties. It recognises the enormous contribution...
- Using ICTs for poverty reduction and environmental protection in Kenya
- W. Mungai 2005
- This paper seeks to identify the policy implications of the development of the information society on the attainment of sustainable development goals in Kenya. The paper is premised on the belief that “sustainable development ca...
- The implications of climate change on the poor in Africa cities
- I. Douglas; K. Alam; M. Maghenda / Russell Sage Foundation, 2008
- Poor people living in hazardous and unhealthy environments in urban areas may find their difficulties compounded by the consequences of climate change. These include those who construct their shelters on steep, unstable hillsides, or ...
- Norwegian and Swedish agencies should cooperate more to promote child rights in Guatemala, Kenya, Mozambique and Sudan
- A. Tostensen; H. Stokke; S. Trygged / Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation - NORAD, 2011
- Guatemala, Kenya, Mozambique and Sudan have ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and are bound to take legislative, policy, and administrative action to honour their legal obligations. This report synthesises the f...
- ASB Partnership for the Tropical Forest Margins
- The ASB Partnership for the Tropical Forest Margins is devoted entirely to research on the tropical forest margins. ASB, which was founded as Alternatives to Slash-and-Burn in 1994, is currently focussed on reducing deforestation and emissions from land use change, including forestry and agriculture, while ensuring viable livelihoods and enhancing social and environmental co-benefits.The partnersh...
- Tegemeo Institute of Agriculture policy and Development
- Tegemeo Institute conducts Research and Analysis on policy in the domain of agriculture, rural development, natural resources and environment. The Institute aims at addressing micro and macroeconomic policy issues bearing on farming, transportation, processing, marketing, and trade of agricultural products and inputs; sustainability of agricultural systems and natural resources as well as the envi...
- Land Use Change, Impacts and Dynamics (LUCID)
- LUCID network, stimulating research on land use and global change in east Africa
- African Conservation Centre, Kenya (ACC)
- ACC is a non-governmental, regionally focused conservation organisation based in Nairobi, Kenya. It is dedicated to developing and implementing fresh approaches to the conservation of biological resources. The organisation partakes in the following activities: identifying the factors that create and maintain biological diversity understanding and applying to conservation the socio-econom...
- MS Kenya
- Kenya international development programme
- International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology,, Kenya (ICIPE)
- Tackles environmentally sustainable and affordable methods of managing tropical arthropod plant pests and disease vectors