Kenya and Environment
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS environment collection
Search for the latest environment-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Shifting security challenges in the China–Africa relationship
- R. Anthony; H. Esterhuyse; M. Burgess / South African Institute of International Affairs, 2015
- China’s involvement in African security has deepened in recent years. This policy insights paper discusses three aspects of the China–Africa security relationship to highlight some of the evolving challenges and the ways i...
- Building Environmental Resilience: A snapshot of farmers adapting to climate change in Kenya
- K. Thompson; I. Kruszewska; R. Tirado / Greenpeace International, 2015
- This report examines the practise used to build resilience to climate change by farmers in Kenya. In October 2014 interviews were conducted with farmers and members of the organisations that support them in West and Eastern Ken...
- REDD Integrity: An evidence based approach to anti-corruption in REDD+
- A. Williams; K. Dupuy; F. Downs / U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre, 2015
- Schemes for Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) have emerged as a means to address deforestation trends in developing countries and related emissions of forest carbon. Governance and corruption challen...
- Norway’s municipal international cooperation - results achieved and lessons learnt
- J. Holm-Hansen / Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research, 2015
- Municipal International Cooperation (1997-2014) was a programme involving municipalities in Norway and the Global South. It was managed by the Norwegian Association of Local and Regional Authorities (KS) and financed by the Ministry o...
- REDD: A Collection of Conflicts, Contradictions and Lies
- World Rainforest Movement, 2015
- The complexity of REDD initiatives from another perspective. REDD: A Collection of Conflicts, Contradictions and Lies presents summaries of reports from 24 REDD projects or programmes with a common character...
- Safe drinking water. Who is willing to pay the price?
- International Initiative for Impact Evaluation, 2012
- Treating water can reduce the prevalence of diarrhoea by up to 70 percent. Although there are several inexpensive water treatment technologies available, statistics show that every 15 seconds a child dies due to waterborne diseases. O...
- Illegal timber trade and REDD+ Interface in Eastern Africa: A Pilot
- P. Vedeld; C. Cavanagh; L.T. Trædal / Noragric, Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Norwegian University of L, 2015
- This report is a desk appraisal of the following programme proposal: “Illegal Timber Trade and REDD+ Interface in Eastern Africa: A pilot” (hereafter ‘ITT-REDD’). The programme’s objective is to enhance n...
- "We are used to this”: A qualitative assessment of the perceptions of and attitudes towards air pollution amongst slum residents in Nairobi
- African Population and Health Research Center, Nairobi, Kenya, 2014
- Urban air pollution remains a major health risk to millions of urban residents worldwide as it is estimated that about 1.3 million deaths annually are attributable to urban air pollution Studies on air pollution in Africa and o...
- Evolving customary institutions in the Drylands: an opportunity for devolved natural resource governance in Kenya?
- D. Tari; J. Pattison / International Institute for Environment and Development, 2014
- Improved governance of natural resources is crucial for building climate resilient livelihoods and economies in Africa’s drylands. This paper looks at why the authority and capacity of customary natural resource management insti...
- A conceptual flash flood early warning system for Africa, based on terrestrial microwave links and flash flood guidance
- J.C.B. Hoedjes; A. Kooiman; B.H. Maathuis / Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, 2014
- This journal article describes a conceptual flash flood early warning system for developing countries, with a particular focus on the system that is currently being developed for Kenya. The conceptual system uses rainfall intensi...
- ASB Partnership for the Tropical Forest Margins
- The ASB Partnership for the Tropical Forest Margins is devoted entirely to research on the tropical forest margins. ASB, which was founded as Alternatives to Slash-and-Burn in 1994, is currently focussed on reducing deforestation and emissions from land use change, including forestry and agriculture, while ensuring viable livelihoods and enhancing social and environmental co-benefits.The partnersh...
- Tegemeo Institute of Agriculture policy and Development
- Tegemeo Institute conducts Research and Analysis on policy in the domain of agriculture, rural development, natural resources and environment. The Institute aims at addressing micro and macroeconomic policy issues bearing on farming, transportation, processing, marketing, and trade of agricultural products and inputs; sustainability of agricultural systems and natural resources as well as the envi...
- Land Use Change, Impacts and Dynamics (LUCID)
- LUCID network, stimulating research on land use and global change in east Africa
- African Conservation Centre, Kenya (ACC)
- ACC is a non-governmental, regionally focused conservation organisation based in Nairobi, Kenya. It is dedicated to developing and implementing fresh approaches to the conservation of biological resources. The organisation partakes in the following activities: identifying the factors that create and maintain biological diversity understanding and applying to conservation the socio-econom...
- MS Kenya
- Kenya international development programme
- International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology,, Kenya (ICIPE)
- Tackles environmentally sustainable and affordable methods of managing tropical arthropod plant pests and disease vectors
- World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
- Research organisation based in Kenya promoting agroforestry as a means to address the need for improved food security and increased resources for energy, as well as the need to sustainably manage agricultural landscapes for the ecosystem services they provide. World Agroforestry Centre research is organized around six Science Domains (SDs): Agroforestry systems Tree products...