Kenya and Climate change
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The Adaptation Learning Mechanism
- Search country-specific adaptation profiles from the Adaptation Learning Mechanism
- Developing financeable NAMAs: a practitioner’s guide
- D. Sawyer / International Institute for Sustainable Development, 2013
- Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) are fast becoming the climate finance vehicle of choice to help developing countries transition to low carbon, climate resilient futures. Developing countries, their development partne...
- Tried and tested: learning from farmers on adaptation to climate change
- H. Reid / International Institute for Environment and Development, 2013
- Small-scale farmers and pastoralists knowledge and experience of coping with climatic extremes and uncertainty has been largely overlooked in climate change adaptation planning efforts. This paper draws lessons from this wealth of kno...
- Media perceptions and portrayals of pastoralists in Kenya, India and China
- M. Shanahan / International Institute for Environment and Development, 2013
- Through the analysis of newspaper articles and a survey of journalists, this publication identifies gaps and highlights differences in how the media portray pastoralism in Kenya, China and India. In discussing their methodology, the a...
- Climate related risks and opportunities for agricultural adaptation in semi-arid eastern Kenya
- J. Recha / Climate Change Agriculture Food Security, 2013
- This paper reports on a field assessment of risks associated with climate variability in eastern Kenya by the CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS). It also includes the compilations of climat...
- Climate risks, vulnerability and governance in Kenya: a review
- J-E. Parry; D. Echeverria; J. Dekens; J. Maitima / United Nations Development Programme, 2012
- This report was commissioned under the Climate Risk Management Technical Assistance Support Project (CRM TASP), a joint initiative of the Bureau for Crisis Prevention and Recovery and the Bureau for Development Policy of the United Na...
- Climate risk management for malaria control in Kenya: the case of the western highlands
- J. Dekens 2013
- Despite its declining prevalence, malaria infection remains as the main cause of disease and mortality in Kenya. It is also currently re-emerging in the western highlands due to a combination of climatic and non-climatic factors. The ...
- Harnessing geothermal energy: the case of Kenya
- P. Kollikho / Climate and Development Knowledge Network, 2013
- Kenyas heavy reliance on hydroelectricity production has made the country vulnerable to climate change impacts, such as drought and erratic rainfall patterns. According to this Inside story on climate compatible developmen...
- Conflict resolution among pastoral communities in West Pokot County, Kenya: a missing link
- J. M. Huho / SAVAP International, 2012
- Conflicts over control of and access to natural resources are common among pastoral communities living in arid and semi-arid environments of Kenya. This study investigates conflicts and conflict resolution strategies in West Pokot Cou...
- Study assessing disaster risk reduction and resilience of three east African cities
- M. Permezel; O. Ebalu / International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR), 2012
- This study reports on a month-long pilot project conducted in three east African cities (Narok and Kisumu in Kenya, and Moshi in Tanzania) to assess resilience and disaster risk reduction (DRR). The pilot is modelled on the ‘ten...
- Empirical study on smallholders' perceptions of climate variability in Kenya
- S. A. Ogalleh; C. R. Vogl; J. Eitzinger; M. Hauser / Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, 2012
- This empirical analysis of smallholders' perceptions of, and adaptation to, climate change demonstrates the value and importance of local knowledge in the Laikipia district, Kenya. The paper recognises that agricultural policies are p...
- ASB Partnership for the Tropical Forest Margins
- The ASB Partnership for the Tropical Forest Margins is devoted entirely to research on the tropical forest margins. ASB, which was founded as Alternatives to Slash-and-Burn in 1994, is currently focussed on reducing deforestation and emissions from land use change, including forestry and agriculture, while ensuring viable livelihoods and enhancing social and environmental co-benefits.The partnersh...
- Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI)
- Kenya's national institute for health science research
- Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI)
- Research and dissemination institute in Kenya focussing on forrestry and sustainability
- Climate Network Africa
- African climate change network
- Alternatives to Slash-and-Burn Programme, Kenya (ASB)
- Global collaborative programme to conserve forests and reduce poverty in the humid tropics
- African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS)
- Policy research and training organisation located in Nairobi
- United Nations [UN] Environment Programme (UNEP)
- UNEP operates a number of gopher/WWW services, concentrating on different aspects of their agenda. The main services are the UNEP gopher, UNEP WWW, Geneva Secretariat WWW and the CEDAR gopher/WWW: (a) Main WWW/gopher: information on UNEP activities / programmes / personnel; International Directory Network database (see separate entry); UNEP Library catalogue; register of international environme...