Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Averting 'New Variant Famine' in Southern Africa: building food-secure livelihoods with AIDS-affected young people
- N. Ansell; E. Robson; L. van Blerk; F. Hajdu / Economic and Social Research Council, UK 2009
- Numerous reports have linked AIDS impacts on young people and their long term food insecurity, through, for instance, orphans failure to inherit property and resources; inability to retain rights to land which they are too...
- Averting ‘New Variant Famine’ in Southern Africa: building food-secure rural livelihoods with AIDS-affected young people
- N. Ansell / Department for International Development, UK 2009
- Southern Africa is experiencing the worlds highest HIV prevalence rates alongside recurrent food crises. This has prompted scholars to hypothesise a 'New Variant Famine' in which inability to access food is driven by the effects...
- Learning from young people about their lives: using participatory methods to research the impacts of AIDS in southern Africa
- N. Ansell; F. Hajdu; L. van Blerk; E. Robson / Children's Geographies 2012
- Methods of participatory research have become popular among childrens geographers as they are believed to enable young people to speak openly about their lives in unthreatening contexts. In this paper the authors reflect...
- Averting ‘New Variant Famine’ in Southern Africa: building food secure rural livelihoods with AIDS-affected young people
- Department for International Development, UK 2009
- Southern Africa is experi-encing the worlds highest HIV prevalence rates alongside recurrent food crises. This has prompted scholars to hypothesise a 'New Variant Famine' in which inability to access food is driven by the ef-fec...
- Income generating activities as components of sustainable rural livelihoods for young southern Africans - AIDS and other constraints
- The Geographical Journal 2011
- The literature dedicated to exploring rural livelihoods in southern Africa has devoted comparatively little attention to non-agricultural livelihoods, as several authors have pointed out. This gap in knowledge about non-agricultural l...
- External evaluation of the Southern African Regional Social and Behavior Change Communication Program, as implemented in Lesotho
- Soul Beat 2012
- This report discusses the Lesotho findings of an external evaluation of the Southern African Regional Social and Behaviour Change Communication Programme, an initiative implemented in 8 countries in Southern Africa from 2007 to 2011 t...
- Contesting and turning over power: Implications for consolidation of democracy in Lesotho
- L. Malephane / Afrobarometer 2015
- Since its transition to electoral democracy in 1993, Lesotho has experienced a series of upheavals related to the electoral process. Election results were vehemently contested in 1998, when the ruling Lesotho Congress for Democracy (L...
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights: Lesotho country fact sheet
- Lesotho faces numerous health and development challenges. These both drive and stem from: the HIV and AIDS epidemic, income inequalities, and poor access to information and services on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR)....
- HIV-related discrimination among grade six Students in nine Southern African countries
- B. Maughan-Brown; N. Spaull / PLoS ONE 2014
- HIV-related stigmatisation and discrimination by young children towards their peers have important consequences at the individual level and for our response to the epidemic, yet research on this area is limited. This study exam...
- SADC investment perspectives in a changing international investment landscape
- H. Bezuidenhout / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- The global arena for foreign direct investment (FDI) has become much more fluid and complex in the five years from 2010 to 2015. The Southern African Development Community (SADC) as a region has shown exceptional growth but relatively...