Malawi and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Self-reported drunkenness among adolescents in four sub-Saharan African countries: associations with adverse childhood experiences
- African Population and Health Research Center, Nairobi, Kenya, 2010
- Consumption of alcohol is associated with acute and chronic adverse health outcomes. There is a paucity of studies that explore the determinants of alcohol use among adolescents in sub-Saharan Africa and, in particular, that examine t...
- Male youth and voluntary counseling and HIV-Testing (VCT): the case of Uganda and Malawi
- C. Izugbara; C. Undie; N. Mudege; A. Ezeh / African Population and Health Research Center, Nairobi, Kenya, 2009
- Voluntary Counseling and HIV-Testing (VCT) is defined as a process by which an individual undergoes counseling, enabling him or her to make an informed choice about being tested. Focusing on Uganda and Malawi, two of the world’s...
- Social protection for the poorest in Africa compedium of papers presented during the International Conference on Social Protection, 2008
- Conference proceedings from the International Conference on Social Protection, Uganda, 8th-10th September 2008. Papers cover: social protection design programmes social protection, vulnerability and right...
- Children Malnutrition and Horizontal Inequalities in Sub-Saharan Africa:A Focus on Contrasting Domestic Trajectories
- V. Garcia / United Nations Development Programme, 2012
- The positive trend observed in recent accelerated economic growth in sub-Saharan African countries represents a huge opportunity to foster sustainable development, This paper contributes to the literature by providing a more accurate ...
- Finding a curriculum that works under trees: Literacy and health education for adolescent girls in rural Malawi
- B Makwiza (ed) / Development in Practice, 2007
- Non-formal education often represents a last chance for adolescent girls who do not attend school to receive some education to improve their health before they become mothers. This paper describes the development of a literacy and hea...
- The Extent and Nature of Witchcraft-Based Violence against Children, Women, and the Elderly in Malawi
- C. Chilimampunga 2012
- According to the study, the belief in witchcraft is strong, widespread and permeates all sectors in Malawi. Accusations of witchcraft are common and the vulnerable are most often the victims of such accusations and subsequent violence...
- Changing Patterns of Access to Education in Anglophone and Francophone Countries in Sub Saharan Africa: Is Education for All Pro-Poor?
- K.M. Lewin / Consortium for Research on Educational Access, Transitions and Equity, 2011
- This paper explores patterns of growth in participation in six Anglophone and seven Francophone countries in SSA with Universal Primary Education programmes. The results show that progress has been patchy and sometimes disappointing. ...
- What are the implications of using Life Skills in Sexual and Reproductive Health Education at schools in Malawi?
- P. Kishindo / Centre for Social Research, University of Malawi, 2011
- According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), life skills are defined as the abilities for adaptive and positive behaviours that enable individuals to effectively deal with demands and challenges of everyday life (WHO, 1993). ...
- Is the state of education in Malawi any better after the introduction of free primary education?
- C. Jeke / Eldis Document Store, 2006
- Under the current political dispensation in Malawi, education is naturally perceived and observed as a human right. As a way of improving literacy levels and more particularly in response to the social demand for increased access to p...
- Awareness of sexual and reproductive health amongst youth in Malawi
- A. Munthali; A. Chimbiri; E. Zulu / Alan Guttmacher Institute, 2004
- Although the definition of adolescence varies across cultures and different studies use various age-groups, the common understanding of this concept is that it is a period in which children make the transition from childhood to adulth...