Malawi and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Averting 'New Variant Famine' in Southern Africa: building food-secure livelihoods with AIDS-affected young people
- N. Ansell; E. Robson; L. van Blerk; F. Hajdu / Economic and Social Research Council, UK 2009
- Numerous reports have linked AIDS impacts on young people and their long term food insecurity, through, for instance, orphans failure to inherit property and resources; inability to retain rights to land which they are too...
- Averting ‘New Variant Famine’ in Southern Africa: building food-secure rural livelihoods with AIDS-affected young people
- N. Ansell / Department for International Development, UK 2009
- Southern Africa is experiencing the worlds highest HIV prevalence rates alongside recurrent food crises. This has prompted scholars to hypothesise a 'New Variant Famine' in which inability to access food is driven by the effects...
- Learning from young people about their lives: using participatory methods to research the impacts of AIDS in southern Africa
- N. Ansell; F. Hajdu; L. van Blerk; E. Robson / Children's Geographies 2012
- Methods of participatory research have become popular among childrens geographers as they are believed to enable young people to speak openly about their lives in unthreatening contexts. In this paper the authors reflect...
- Averting ‘New Variant Famine’ in Southern Africa: building food secure rural livelihoods with AIDS-affected young people
- Department for International Development, UK 2009
- Southern Africa is experi-encing the worlds highest HIV prevalence rates alongside recurrent food crises. This has prompted scholars to hypothesise a 'New Variant Famine' in which inability to access food is driven by the ef-fec...
- Income generating activities as components of sustainable rural livelihoods for young southern Africans - AIDS and other constraints
- The Geographical Journal 2011
- The literature dedicated to exploring rural livelihoods in southern Africa has devoted comparatively little attention to non-agricultural livelihoods, as several authors have pointed out. This gap in knowledge about non-agricultural l...
- Mobile phones and education in Sub-Saharan Africa: from youth practice to public policy
- Journal of International Development 2015
- Young people's use of mobile phones is expanding exponentially across Africa. Its transformative potential is exciting, but findings presented in this paper indicate how the downside of mobile phone use in African schools is becoming ...
- Youth, mobility and mobile phones in Africa: findings from a three-country study
- University of Durham 2014
- The expansion of mobile phone use in sub-Saharan Africa, particularly over the last five years, has been remarkable in terms of speed of adoption, spatial penetration and, not least, the fact that this is an essentially spontaneous de...
- Children’s mobility in Ghana: An overview of methods and findings from the Ghana research study
- Gina Porter; Kate Hampshire; Albert Abane / Society, Biology and Human Affairs 2011
- This paper is part of a collection forming A Special Issue, which covers selected themes from a larger project on child mobility in Ghana, Malawi and South Africa. The themes are those which individual members of the Ghana research te...
- A Moving Issue: Children and young people’s transport and mobility constraints in Africa
- Kate Czuczman (ed) / International Forum for Rural Transport and Development 2010
- Children and young people are rarely at the forefront of transport studies, despite the fact that their ability to access health and educational facilities is crucial to the achievement of internatioanl development goals. To address t...
- Case studies on UNICEF programming in child protection
- United Nations Children's Fund 2014
- These case studies illustrate how UNICEF support is helping countries to strengthen child protection systems and promote social change to align social norms and practices with child protection. The case studies provide evidence of pos...