Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Do electoral handouts affect voting behavior?
- J. Guardado; L. Wantchekon / Afrobarometer 2017
- The literature on vote-buying often assumes a complete transaction of cash for votes. While there is ample evidence that candidates target certain voters with cash handouts, it is unclear whether these actually result in highe...
- Decentralized climate change responses in uganda: climate change adaptation lacks local government funding
- Chemonics International Inc. 2017
- This study explored ways in which Malis 25-year old decentralized governance system empowers local government to help communities adapt to the changing climate. The findings suggest that local development plans hold promise as a...
- Climate-smart solutions for Mali: Findings from implementing the Climate-Smart Agriculture Prioritization Framework
- Climate Change Agriculture Food Security 2016
- Mali is experiencing erratic rainfall, resulting in more frequent dry years, which threaten agricultural productivity and growth. The national economy is vulnerable to climate change due to 50% of GDP coming from the agricultural sect...
- Mali's young 'jihadists': fuelled by faith or circumstance?
- Institute for Security Studies 2016
- Unemployed, idle and fanatical this is how young people in the ranks of the armed jihadist groups in Mali are portrayed. However, there is little empirical data to support this characterisation. Little research has been...
- Climate extremes and resilient poverty reduction
- E. Wilkinson; K. Peters / Overseas Development Institute 2015
- Building resilience to climate extremes and disasters will help ensure the success of global efforts to eliminate extreme poverty. Reaching and sustaining zero extreme poverty, the first of the SDGs, requires a collective effo...
- Violent extremism in Africa: public opinion from the Sahel, Lake Chad, and the Horn
- Afrobarometer 2016
- Over the past two decades, the threat posed by violent extremist groups that espouse fundamentalist religious narratives has grown substantially across Africa (Hallowanger, 2014). The colonial era and the undemocratic rule tha...
- How can climate change adaptation in the semi-arid regions of West Africa be more effective and widespread? evidence from Ghana and Mali
- This briefing note summarises the key findings from the Regional Diagnostic Study (RDS) recently conducted in Ghana and Mali, as part of the ASSAR project. The RDS aimed to: i) develop a systematic understanding of existing kno...
- Climate-smart solutions for Mali: Findings from implementing the climate-smart agriculture prioritization framework
- B. Sogoba / Climate Change Agriculture Food Security 2016
- This info note summarizes findings of a pilot project aiming to develop a participatory framework to prioritize CSA practices and interventions to guide CSA investments in Mali. It was undertaken by researchers from the Malian Associa...
- Understanding insurgent margins in Kenya, Nigeria and Mali
- J. Lind; C. Dowd / Institute of Development Studies UK 2015
- In recent years, violent insurgency has gripped the margins of Kenya, Mali and Nigeria. Militant Islamist groups have attacked civilian populations, state security personnel and political-administrative officials, spreading insecurity...
- Algeria–mail trade: the normality of informality
- S. ensassi; A. Brockmeyer; M. Pellerin / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2015
- Informal trade is said to be essential to survival of the Saharan region. This paper estimates the volume of informal trade between Algeria and Mali and analyses its determinants and mechanisms, using a multi-pronged methodology. ...