Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Too poor to care?: the salience of aids in Africa
- M.K. Justesen / Afrobarometer, 2011
- Sub-Saharan Africa is the part of the world that is most severely affected by HIV/AIDS, yet surveys of attitudes to AIDS across African countries show that most people do not attach great importance to the issue. The current paper arg...
- Climate change in Mali: Institutional analysis of L’agence de L’environnement et du Développement Durable (AEDD) and L’agence Nationale de la Météorologie (Mali-Météo)
- USA Agency for International Development, 2014
- The purpose of this institutional analysis of the Agence de l’Environnement et du Institutional Analysis of l’Agence de l’Environnement et du Développement Durable (AEDD) and l’Agence Nationale de la M&e...
- The political participation of Africa’s youth: turnout, partisanship and protest
- D. Resnick; D. Casale / Afrobarometer, 2011
- The youth have long represented an important constituency for electoral mobilisation in Africa, but very little is known about the political participation of Africa’s youth. The current paper focuses on different modes of politi...
- Exploiting the poor: bureaucratic corruption and poverty in Africa
- M.K. Justesen; C. Bjørnskov / Afrobarometer, 2012
- Corruption is a major source of slow development in Africa. The current paper develops a model of the relationship between poverty and corruption, and utilises Afrobarometer survey data on 18 sub-Saharan African countries. The ...
- Malian democracy recovering: military rule still admired
- B. Dulani / Afrobarometer, 2014
- After experiencing a twin crisis of separatist rebellion and a military coup in 2012, there were serious concerns about the future prospects of democracy in Mali. This paper draws from the results of an Afrobarometer survey, focusing ...
- Who says elections in Ghana are ‘free and fair’?
- S. Parku / Afrobarometer, 2014
- Since 2000, elections in Ghana have been lauded by observers as being “free and fair”; however, the losing political party has consistently contested the election results. This paper uses Afrobarometer survey data to exami...
- After a decade of growth in Africa, little change in poverty at the grassroots
- B. Dulani; R. Mattes; C. Logan / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Afrobarometer data on lived poverty in Africa provide an important basis for testing assumptions about the effects of the continent’s recent economic growth on poverty reduction. The current paper indicates that Afrobarometer da...
- Africa rising?: popular dissatisfaction with economic management despite a decade of growth
- J. Hofmeyr / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Many African individuals still experience regular shortages of basic necessities, and rates of “lived poverty” remain high. In this context, the current paper shows that across 34 countries, a majority (53%) rate the curre...
- The partnership of free speech & good governance in Africa
- W. Mitullah; P. Kamau / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Much of Africa has undergone a radical transformation in terms of the freedom to communicate in the last two decades, but despite the opening and expansion of media and technology, freedom of expression is still enjoyed unequally acro...
- Governments falter in fight to curb corruption: the people give most a failing grade
- S. Richmond; C. Alpin / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Corruption punishes the poor the most. This paper underlines that poor Africans perceive higher levels of corruption in their state institutions and are more likely to pay a bribe in order to obtain official documents, gain access to ...
- Réseau Ouest et Centre Africain de Recherche en Education / Educational Research Network for West and Central Africa (ROCARE / ERNWACA)
- Regional research network on education policy