Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- After a decade of growth in Africa, little change in poverty at the grassroots
- B. Dulani; R. Mattes; C. Logan / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Afrobarometer data on lived poverty in Africa provide an important basis for testing assumptions about the effects of the continent’s recent economic growth on poverty reduction. The current paper indicates that Afrobarometer da...
- Africa rising?: popular dissatisfaction with economic management despite a decade of growth
- J. Hofmeyr / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Many African individuals still experience regular shortages of basic necessities, and rates of “lived poverty” remain high. In this context, the current paper shows that across 34 countries, a majority (53%) rate the curre...
- The partnership of free speech & good governance in Africa
- W. Mitullah; P. Kamau / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Much of Africa has undergone a radical transformation in terms of the freedom to communicate in the last two decades, but despite the opening and expansion of media and technology, freedom of expression is still enjoyed unequally acro...
- Governments falter in fight to curb corruption: the people give most a failing grade
- S. Richmond; C. Alpin / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Corruption punishes the poor the most. This paper underlines that poor Africans perceive higher levels of corruption in their state institutions and are more likely to pay a bribe in order to obtain official documents, gain access to ...
- What people want from government: basic services performance ratings, 34 countries
- J. Asunka / Afrobarometer, 2013
- The current paper relies on an Afrobarometer survey that asked people in 34 African countries to rate the governmental performance in their countries regarding basic services. The paper shows that Africans hold largely negative views ...
- Oil & mining countries: transparency low, impunity high
- E. Gyimah-Boadi; D. Armah-Attoh; M. Awal / Afrobarometer, 2013
- Minerals are important economic resource for Africa. In this sense, Twenty-two of 34 African countries surveyed by Afrobarometer stake their countries' economic futures on development of mineral or oil production. The paper dem...
- Africa’s willing taxpayers thwarted by opaque tax systems, corruption
- R. Aiko; C. Logan / Afrobarometer, 2014
- Mobilisation of resources through taxation is a top priority on Africa's development agenda. The current paper reveal widespread citizen commitment in 29 sub-Saharan African countries to the principle of taxation and to taking respons...
- Support for African women's equality rises: education, jobs & political participation still unequal
- A. Chingwete; S. Richmond; C. Alpin / Afrobarometer, 2014
- Across the globe, women and girls lack access to the levels of education, economic power and political leadership enjoyed by men. However, an Afrobarometer's survey of more than 50,000 people in 34 African countries shows broad suppor...
- Mali’s public mood reflects newfound hope
- M. Bratton; P. Penar / Afrobarometer, 2014
- In 2012, an Afrobarometer survey found that three quarters of adult Malians were worried that the country was moving in “the wrong direction”. A year later, however, a follow-up survey revealed that two thirds of all Malia...
- Popular perceptions of the causes and consequences of the conflict in Mali
- M. Coulibaly / Afrobarometer, 2014
- In the wake of the crisis in Mali, an Afrobarometer survey in 2012 revealed that most Malians had lost trust in their politicians, yet a later Afrobarometer survey found that Malian people were highly concerned with foreign terrorists...
- Réseau Ouest et Centre Africain de Recherche en Education / Educational Research Network for West and Central Africa (ROCARE / ERNWACA)
- Regional research network on education policy