Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Violent extremism in Africa: public opinion from the Sahel, Lake Chad, and the Horn
- Afrobarometer 2016
- Over the past two decades, the threat posed by violent extremist groups that espouse fundamentalist religious narratives has grown substantially across Africa (Hallowanger, 2014). The colonial era and the undemocratic rule tha...
- How can climate change adaptation in the semi-arid regions of West Africa be more effective and widespread? evidence from Ghana and Mali
- This briefing note summarises the key findings from the Regional Diagnostic Study (RDS) recently conducted in Ghana and Mali, as part of the ASSAR project. The RDS aimed to: i) develop a systematic understanding of existing kno...
- Climate-smart solutions for Mali: Findings from implementing the climate-smart agriculture prioritization framework
- B. Sogoba / Climate Change Agriculture Food Security 2016
- This info note summarizes findings of a pilot project aiming to develop a participatory framework to prioritize CSA practices and interventions to guide CSA investments in Mali. It was undertaken by researchers from the Malian Associa...
- Understanding insurgent margins in Kenya, Nigeria and Mali
- J. Lind; C. Dowd / Institute of Development Studies UK 2015
- In recent years, violent insurgency has gripped the margins of Kenya, Mali and Nigeria. Militant Islamist groups have attacked civilian populations, state security personnel and political-administrative officials, spreading insecurity...
- Algeria–mail trade: the normality of informality
- S. ensassi; A. Brockmeyer; M. Pellerin / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2015
- Informal trade is said to be essential to survival of the Saharan region. This paper estimates the volume of informal trade between Algeria and Mali and analyses its determinants and mechanisms, using a multi-pronged methodology. ...
- Assessing Mali’s L’agence Nationale De La Météorologie’s (Mali Meteo) Agrometeorological Advisory Program: final report on the farmer use of advisories and implications for climate service design
- E.R. Carr (ed); S. Onzere (ed); T. Kalala (ed) / Development Experience Clearinghouse, USAID 2015
- This report marks the completion of the first detailed assessment of the function and impact of an operational climate services for development program, Mali’s L’Agence Nationale de la Météorologie’s (M...
- Political risks facing African democracies: Evidence from Afrobarometer
- M. Bratton; E. Gyimah-Boadi / Afrobarometer 2015
- Where are African countries headed politically? How resilient are Africa’s governments, regimes, and states? What are the characteristics of political risk? This paper is motivated by a desire to discover whether it is possible ...
- On the primacy of weak public service provision in rural Africa: Malians redefine ‘state breakdown’ amidst 2012 political crisis
- J. Bleck; K. Michelitch / Afrobarometer 2015
- In 2012, Mali faced a dual state breakdown disrupting nearly 20 years of democratization – a coup and a secessionist insurgency. This paper provides the perspectives of rural Malians living on the border of state- and rebel-cont...
- Specialisation or diversification? Divergent perspectives on rice farming in three large dam-irrigated areas in the Sahel
- B. Guèye / International Institute for Environment and Development 2014
- This report is based on the main lessons and recommendations from three case studies analysing the strategies, aspirations and constraints of the various types of farmers living around the dams of Bagré (Burkina Faso), Sé...
- Impacts of large-scale investments in agriculture on water resources, ecosystems and livelihoods; and development of policy options for decision makers
- GRID Arendal 2014
- The goal of this project is to analyze the nature and extent of impacts of foreign direct investments (FDI) in agriculture in Africa. The research, which is being conducted on behalf of the African Ministers’ Cou...