Mali and Environment
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS environment collection
Search for the latest environment-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Envisioning the future and learning from the past: adapting to a changing environment in northern Mali
- M. Brockhaus; H. Djoudi (ed); B. Locatelli (ed) / Elsevier, 2013
- In West Africa, rural livelihoods that dependon natural resources develop coping and adapting strategies to face climate variability or change, and economic or political changes. The former Lake Faguibine in northern Mali has experien...
- Facts on Ecofarm
- J. B. Aune / Drylands Coordination Group, Norway, 2012
- The Sahel countries face a range of problems from low food insecurity to environmental problems like climate change and soil degradation. The Ecofarm project was undertaken in Mali, Sudan and Ethiopia to address these problems through...
- GRAIN — Squeezing Africa dry: behind every land grab is a water grab
- GRAIN, 2012
- Food cannot be grown without water. In Africa, one in three people endure water scarcity and climate change will make things worse. Building on Africas highly sophisticated indigenous water management systems could help resolve ...
- Climate change and sub-Saharan Africa: points of vulnerability and potential for adaptation
- H. Connor; L. Mqadi; P. Mukheibir / HELIO International, 2007
- Africa is vulnerable to climate change on two fronts: firstly, because of existing vulnerabilities and secondly, due to capacity limitations for disaster mitigation and inability to adapt to climate change. There is an urgent nee...
- Managing renewable natural resources in the Sahel: the role of local government institutions
- T. Hilhorst / Royal Tropical Institute, 2008
- This paper reflects on experiences from research and interventions in the Sahel on management of renewable natural resources - soils, water, forests, and biodiversity - for the purpose of food and income generation. It focuses&nb...
- What approaches can help rehabilitate degraded land?
- New Agriculturalist, 2008
- Across vast areas of the world, human activity has degraded once fertile and productive land. Deforestation, overgrazing, continuous farming and poor irrigation practices have affected almost 2 billion hectares worldwide, threatening ...
- What is the political landscape for the introduction of bio-fortified crops in West Africa?
- R. Birner; S. Abel Kone; N. Linacre; D. Resnick / AgBioForum, 2008
- This article examines the political landscape for the introduction of bio-fortified crops in west Africa. Focusing on Burkina Faso and Mali, it analyses the current state of bio-safety legislation and the political debates regarding g...
- Linkages between poverty and ecosystem services in Mali
- C. Wong; M. Roy; A.K. Duraiappah / International Institute for Sustainable Development, Winnipeg, 2005
- How are Africas ecosystems faring? This report provides a preliminary overview of ecosystem services in Mali and the corresponding constituents and determinants of well-being related to the availability of these services. This p...
- The impacts of natural resource management on farming outputs, Mali
- V.A. Kelly / US Agency for International Development, 2003
- In visiting seven villages and holding discussions with farmers using natural resource management (NRM) practices, the author of this report, which examines the impacts of NRM activities in the Office of the Upper Niger Valley (OHVN) ...
- A burning issue: promoting sustainable pro- poor access to affordable energy
- Alison Doig / id21 Development Research Reporting Service, 2002
- In urban areas of developing countries the poor pay more per unit of energy consumed and are most vulnerable to price hikes. Are they forever doomed to use expensive, inefficient and unsafe fuels for cooking, heating, power and light?...