Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Care policy brief on the need to focus on resilience to tackle the hunger and poverty crisis affecting the Sahel region of Africa
- P. Gubbels / CARE International 2015
- Every year, over 20 million people suffer from chronic hunger, and are trapped in a debt and hunger cycle from which they cannot escape. Substantial humanitarian and development action is required in 2016 and beyond, yet this crisis i...
- Cost assessment of environmental degradation in the Middle East and North Africa region – selected issues
- B. Larsen / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- This paper estimates the cost of inadequate potable water, sanitation and hygiene, outdoor air pollution, and cropland degradation in 16 countries of the Arab League. The paper pointes that the 16 countries under study represent great...
- A Review of the Human Resource Content of PRSP and HIPC documentation in 6 selected African Countries
- Health and Education Advice and Resource Team 2003
- This desk based review looks at PRSP/HIPC documentation and related documentation and seeks to shed light on whether these documents adequately reflect the growing importance of human resource planning, implementation, and manage...
- Have Islamic banks been more resistant than conventional banks to the 2007-2008 financial crisis?
- K. Bourkhis; M.S. Nabi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- The recent global financial crisis has induced a series of failures of many conventional banks; in this context, many economists advocate for the return to narrow banking and/or for favouring the development of Islamic banking, suppos...
- Autocracies, democratization and development in the Arab region
- S. Makdisi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- This paper focuses on the relationship between economic, political and historical factors in current Arab countries. The paper indicates that in the post second world war period, Arab political institutions generally have not been ope...
- Did the global financial crisis and recession contribute to the uprisings in North Africa?
- H. Aly; M. Strazicich / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- The uprisings in North Africa in 2011 has induced many analysts to suggest a host of factors as the root cause of the turmoil. This paper asks: did the global financial crisis of 2007-2009 affect economic growth in the North African c...
- Threshold effect of inflation on growth: evidence from MENA region
- S. Ghazouani / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2012
- The debate concerning the relationship between inflation and growth is continuously updated. In this paper on MENA countries, nonlinearity of the relationship between inflation and growth is investigated through a dynamic panel thresh...
- The elusive quest for Arab economic development
- A. Galal; H. Selim / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2012
- Today, Arab countries are not considered developed by international standards. This paper reviews the development experience of the Arab countries since World War II, arguing that the lack of inclusive economic and political instituti...
- The global impact of the systemic economies and MENA business cycles
- P. Cashin; K. Mohaddes; M. Raissi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2013
- This paper analyses spillovers from macroeconomic shocks in systemic economies (China, the Euro Area, and the USA) to the MENA region as well as outward spillovers from a GDP shock in the Gulf countries and MENA oil exporters to the r...
- Governments falter in fight to curb corruption: the people give most a failing grade
- S. Richmond; C. Alpin / Afrobarometer 2013
- Corruption punishes the poor the most. This paper underlines that poor Africans perceive higher levels of corruption in their state institutions and are more likely to pay a bribe in order to obtain official documents, gain access to ...