Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- The Micronesian exodus
- Pacific Institute of Public Policy, 2010
- Micronesia has the highest per capita net emigration rate in the world. This paper provides an overview of the Micronesian migration experience, and shows that a range of public policies can shape a country’s experience with mig...
- Report on fieldwork from around the world documenting loss and damage due to climate change
- K. Warner; K. van der Geest; S. Kreft / United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security, 2012
- This study presents empirical findings from fieldwork around the world examining loss and damage caused by global warming. The report begins by defining and contextualising the emerging discourse on assessing, quantifying and reacting...
- Legal frameworks for ecosystem-based adaptation to climate change in the Pacific islands
- B. Boer / Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme, 2012
- This report analyses the legal aspects of ecosystem-based adaptation to climate change focusing on the Pacific island countries. It underscores that ecosystem-based adaptation can provide cost-effective strategies for reducing vulnera...
- Disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in the Pacific: an institutional and policy analysis
- J. E. Hay / International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR), 2012
- Disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) both share a common focus: reducing the vulnerability of communities and contributing to sustainable development. This study provides an analysis of the current level o...
- Examining the factors contributing to food security and climate change in the Pacific
- M. Ahmed (ed); J. Maclean (ed); M.A. Sombilla. (ed) / Asian Development Bank, 2011
- The Pacific island governments view climate change as a priority issue, especially in terms of its potential impacts on food security, but need clear directions in addressing both issues. Their agricultural production until the mid-19...
- Improving the effectiveness of social spending in Pacific countries in light of the economic crisis
- S. Feeny / Oxfam Australia, 2010
- Whilst at a macroeconomic level, the Global Economic Crisis (GEC) has had less impact on many Pacific countries than on most other developing countries, impacts from the GEC are ongoing and vary greatly across Pacific countr...
- Infrastructure is vital for pro-poor growth in East Asia
- Mark Baird; Rita Nangia; Yasuo Fujita / id21 Development Research Reporting Service, 2007
- East Asian states have made impressive progress with economic growth and poverty reduction. However, some are struggling to meet demand for roads, water, communications, and power. Private investment in infrastructure is slow, especia...
- Policies to address food security in small island economies in the Caribbean and the Pacific
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2005
- This paper presented to a special FAO ministerial session in 2005 outlines policies for food security in Small Island Developing States (SIDS) based around three main criteria: food availability depends on domest...
- Has decentralisation improved local government in the Pacific states?
- R. Duncan / Pacific Institute of Advanced Studies in Development and Governance, University of the South Pacific, 2004
- This paper examines decentralisation and intergovernmental relations in the Pacific region, asking to what extent local government is participatory, effective in delivering services, and independent from central government. It draws o...
- Background report for the 2002 South Pacific land tenure conflict symposium
- S. Boydell / Land Reform, Land Settlement and Cooperatives, 2001
- The paper is a desk study prepared as a basis for discussion and further field research into land tenure and conflict in the region. The first section provides an overview of land tenure and land utilization issues. This sectio...