Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Improving energy security in India and China
- S. Tønnesson; A. Kolas / International Peace Research Institute, Oslo 2006
- What is the composition of Indian and Chinese energy consumption and their relative dependence on imported energy (with a focus on oil and gas)? This paper describes the responses of India and China to their need for energy security, ...
- The political context of Burmese gas
- A. Kolas; S. Tonnesson / Nautilus Institute for Security and Sustainable Development 2006
- Considering the vital significance of Burmese natural gas, both as a major source of revenue for the military regime and as an important aspect of the current energy security strategies of the neighbouring states (namely Thailand, Ind...
- The role of Chinese companies in Burma
- EarthRights International 2007
- While increasing attention has been paid to Chinese attempts to secure natural resources overseas, the case of Burma has often been overlooked. This background provides a summary of the operations of Chinese multinational corporations...
- Can regime change be encouraged by an inclusive approach to Burma?
- P. Clapp / United States Institute of Peace 2007
- Argues that the poor state of the economy, authoritarian control, limited education opportunities in political and social science and onerous restrictions on civil society and public organisations make it harder to establish and maint...
- Shifting cultivation as "good practice"?: lessons from the Eastern Himilayas
- E. Kerkhoff; E. Sharma / International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development, (ICIMOD), Nepal 2006
- Hundreds of millions of people in Asia are dependent on shifting cultivation, yet the practice has tended to be seen in a negative light and discouraged by policy makers. This document challenges prevailing as...
- Exploitation of young migrant workers in Thailand
- E. Pearson; S. Punpuing; A. Jampaklay / Human Trafficking 2006
- Thailand has emerged as the number one destination in cross-border trafficking of children and women. Many children and young women from Myanmar, Cambodia and Lao PDR migrate to Thailand in search of better life. Often their journey l...
- Promoting human rights and stakeholder involvement in the Asian petroleum sector
- International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation 2006
- This document presents the outcomes of a workshop organised by the Social Responsibility Working Group of the International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association (IPIECA) focusing on Asia. It also reviews cas...
- A report on environmental and human rights abuses in Burma
- C. McCoy / EarthRights International 2007
- This report addresses the environmental and human rights situation faced by villagers and migrant workers in Shwegyin township of Nyaunglebin District, Pegu Division, Burma. Specifically, it examines the area around the Shwegyin and M...
- Reporting on the social and environmental impacts of mining in northern Burma
- Kachin Development Networking Group 2007
- The remote and environmentally rich Hugawng Valley in Burmas northern Kachin State is internationally recognised as one of the worlds hotspots of biodiversity. This report by undercover local researchers exposes how the Bu...
- What is the ethical basis for corporate social responsibility?
- I. Kolstad / Chr. Michelsen Institute, Norway 2007
- This brief summarises the main results of the Chr. Michelsen Institutes programme on business ethics for multinational corporations in developing countries. The brief gives an overview of the ethical groundings for c...