Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Palestinian refugees in Arab States: a rights-based approach
- A. Khalil / European University Institute, Italy 2009
- This paper tackles the issue of Palestinian refugees in host Arab States, their legal status and rights. The paper's criteria can be found in those universally accepted standards applicable to refugees, as a special category of person...
- Violence against women in the Gaza strip: After the Isreali Military Operation Protective Edge 2014
- C. Muller; B. Barhoum / ActionAid International 2015
- Following the Israeli military Operation Protective Edge in summer 2014, this reports presents the findings of a study initiated by ActionAid and Alianza por la Solidaridad (Alianza) on violence against women (VAW) in the Gaza Strip, ...
- Jerusalem: A City on Edge
- This report, comprising the testimonies of 25 women living in Palestinian communities in East Jerusalem, sheds light on some of the personal stories behind the headlines. Undertaken as part of the project “Protect the Rights and...
- Cost assessment of environmental degradation in the Middle East and North Africa region – selected issues
- B. Larsen / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- This paper estimates the cost of inadequate potable water, sanitation and hygiene, outdoor air pollution, and cropland degradation in 16 countries of the Arab League. The paper pointes that the 16 countries under study represent great...
- Firm level data in the ERF region: research questions, data requirements and possibilities
- I. Atiyas / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- This paper presents an overview of research that is done on the basis of firm-level data, to provide some thoughts on what sort of research questions would be fruitful for the ERF region (Arab countries, Iran and Turkey) to address. ...
- Sustainable development and environmental challenges in the MENA region: accounting for the environment in the 21st century
- S.L. Sakmar; M. Wackernagel; A. Galli / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Although many of MENA’s economic challenges have been widely analysed, environmental challenges are rarely taken into consideration in the process of formulating economic policies in the region. This paper addresses the major ga...
- Have Islamic banks been more resistant than conventional banks to the 2007-2008 financial crisis?
- K. Bourkhis; M.S. Nabi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- The recent global financial crisis has induced a series of failures of many conventional banks; in this context, many economists advocate for the return to narrow banking and/or for favouring the development of Islamic banking, suppos...
- Lebanon: caught in the regional crossfire
- A Tharoor / Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi 2014
- Lebanon has a rich, diverse and millennia-old history and culture, but the nation has often encountered internal and external insecurity. The modern day state the (Republic of Lebanon) is the smallest nation in continental Asia (compa...
- Creating incentives for more effective wastewater reuse in the Middle East and North Africa
- M. Jeuland / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Systematic water recycling remains rare in many arid and semi-arid countries, for example in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This paper argues that much of the relative failure to make greater use of reclaimed wastewater in M...
- Institutional sphere contribution to human development: an institutional approach
- R. Chkoundali; H. Haffoudhi; H. Abdenneji / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- The institutions have been considered as a major determinant of development with the new institutional economics. The main objective of this paper is to emphasise the importance of integrating the institutional indicator component for...