Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- The Stages-of-Progress methodology for looking at movement in and out of poverty
- A. Krishna / Chronic Poverty Research Centre, UK 2007
- The Stages-of-Progress methodology helps examine why households move out of and into poverty. This paper presents the methodology, briefly discussing some results from case studies carried out in diverse communities of India, Kenya, U...
- What is wealth? Income, happiness or both
- J. Copestake; M. Guillén Royo; W-J Chou / ESRC Research Group on Wellbeing in Developing Countries . University of Bath 2007
- Previous studies in Peru have identified apparent mismatches between people’s perceptions of their wellbeing and indicators of their material welfare. This paper empirically explores the relationship between indicators of econom...
- How is international cooperation impacting civil society organisations in Latin America?
- H. Collinson (ed) / CARE International 2007
- International and national dynamics in Latin America are reconfiguring the relationships between the main development actors. These dynamics are shifting the ground for civil society organisations and impacting on their ability to ful...
- Examining safety dimensions in rural transport
- International Forum for Rural Transport and Development 2007
- This paper by the International Forum for Rural Transport and Development reports on five studies in India, Peru, Cameroon, Madagascar and Sri Lanka that explore how rural transport safety issues affect the lives of women, men and chi...
- The effect of cocaine reduction policies on child labour, Peru
- A. Dammert / Institute for the Study of Labor, Bonn 2007
- What impact do coca eradication policies aimed at reducing the production and distribution of cocaine in the Andes have on households? This paper examines the shift in the production of coca leaves from Peru to Colombia in 1995 to ana...
- The use of direct taxes and government expenditure programs to achieve income distribution
- J. Martinez-Vazquez / International Studies Programmme, Georgia State University 2007
- This paper provides an overview of the conceptual bases of incidence analyses. It highlights some measurement issues, reviews the main techniques used to estimate tax, benefit and fiscal incidence, and summarises the empirical results...
- The potential costs of IDB and IFC's new gas project in the Amazon
- T. Griffiths / Amazon Watch 2007
- Located in a remote, inhabited area of the Peruvian rainforest, the Camisea Natural Gas Project (“Camisea I”) is arguably one of the most controversial “development” projects currently in operation anywhere in ...
- Do fiscal policies help reduce inequality in the Andean countries?
- Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo / Inter-American Development Bank (IADB) 2007
- Recent studies show that Latin America is the region with the highest levels of inequality in the world. However, while the problem has worsened in many Latin American countries, inequality in the Andes has remained relatively st...
- ¿Pueden las prácticas de compartir el conocimiento ayudar a los pequeños agricultores a sobrevivir?
- S. Burch / América Latina en Movimiento, Agencia Latinoamericana de Información (ALAI) 2007
- Desde la “Revolución Verde”, la producción global de alimentos ha aumentado dramáticamente. Mas el hambre continúa extendiéndose en muchas partes del mundo, particularmente en área...
- The digital divide: a review of ICTs in Africa, Asia and Latin America
- R. Bissio; W. Curry; A. Esterhuysen / Global Information Society Watch 2007
- The Global Information Society Watch 2007 report - the first in a series of annual reports- looks at state of the field of information and communication technology (ICT) policy at local and global levels and particularly how policy im...