Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- SADC investment perspectives in a changing international investment landscape
- H. Bezuidenhout / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- The global arena for foreign direct investment (FDI) has become much more fluid and complex in the five years from 2010 to 2015. The Southern African Development Community (SADC) as a region has shown exceptional growth but relatively...
- Bottlenecks to deployment! police capacity building and deployment in Africa
- F.B. Aboagye; X. Ejoyi; A.A. Asamoah / Institute for Security Studies 2010
- This study explores the police training environment in Africa and gauges some of the key challenges to the smooth deployment of trained police officers. The paper notices that complex emergencies will continue to be a feature o...
- Leveraging services trade liberalisation for enhanced food security in SADC
- M. Dube / South African Institute of International Affairs 2012
- The global food crisis of 2008 threw into sharp relief the problem of food security in many developing countries. In the case of Southern African Development Community (SADC), the food crisis served to highlight the decline in agricul...
- The Regional Agricultural Policy (RAP) of the Southern African Development Community
- Southern African Development Community 2012
- Guided by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Treaty of 1992, several SADC Protocols have been developed to guide, support and promote appropriate actions at regional and national levels towards the attainment of the SAD...
- Handbook for southen African countries on climate change impacts and risks
- C. L. Davis (ed) / Council for Scientific and Industrial Research 2011
- This handbook explores how climate change and variability affect southern Africa. By analysing a number of case studies, the handbook presents how climate has changed in the region, the impact of climate change to key sectors and ways...
- SADC Gender Protocol 2011 Barometer
- C Morna (ed); L Nyakujarah (ed) / Gender Links, Johannesburg 2011
- The 2008 Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) Protocol on Gender and Development was a groundbreaking agreement among the region’s leaders. This report is the third in a series produced by the Southern Gender Protocol Al...
- How is Brazil’s Bolsa-Familia programme relevant for the Southern African Development Community
- R. Maharaj; K. Town / Wahenga, Regional Hunger and Vulnerability Programme 2007
- Given the recent interest in South Africa for developing a basic income grant, it is useful to study successful examples of social grant implementation to ascertain the challenges and opportunities associated with such a system. This ...
- Exploring the potential for low-carbon energy projects for development in Sub-Saharan Africa
- C. Gouvello (ed); F. Dayo (ed); M. Thioye (ed) / World Bank 2008
- Sub-Saharan Africa has an opportunity of choosing a cleaner development pathway via low-carbon energy alternatives that can reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. African countries stand to benefit from financial instruments like the ...
- Middle Africa model of social protection programmes show a shift from emergency relief towards regular activities
- M. Niño-Zarazúa; A. Barrientos; D. Hulme / Brooks World Poverty Institute, University of Manchester 2010
- Interest in social protection has grown rapidly in sub-Saharan Africa over the last decade. This paper provides an overview of the recent extension of social protection in sub-Saharan Africa. The paper identifies two main ‘model...
- Is civil society a real vehicle for democratisation?
- G. Cawthra (ed); A. Du Pisani (ed); A. Omari (ed) / International Development Research Centre 2007
- This study investigates the interface between security, at both the national and regional levels, and democratisation. The paper asserts that security and democratic governance are intertwined. The paper focuses particularly on&n...