Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Turkey in Somalia: shifting paradigms of aid
- J. Stearns; G. Sucuoglu / South African Institute of International Affairs 2016
- As the global development landscape continues to evolve, new and emerging actors countries transitioning from being aid recipients to aid providers are becoming increasingly visible on the global scene. Although the appr...
- The role of social protection programmes in supporting education in conflict-affected situations
- R. Holmes / UNESDOC: Online UNESCO documents 2010
- This background paper examines the role of social protection programmes in supporting education in conflict-affected contexts. It looks at the impact, design and implementation issues of social protection programme experience in ...
- Assessment of the private health sector in Somaliland, Puntland and South Central
- J. Buckley; L. O'Neill; M. Aden / Health and Education Advice and Resource Team 2015
- This report is an exploratory piece of work which aims to contribute to the design of DFID Somalia’s post-2016 health programming through achieving a deeper understanding of the role and current dynamics of the private sector in...
- Situational analysis of FGM/C stakeholders and interventions in Somalia
- S. Crawford; S. Ali / Health and Education Advice and Resource Team 2015
- The overall aim of the situational analysis in Somalia is for government, donors and the UN to gain a greater understanding of existing interventions towards ending female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C), and to identify gaps so as...
- Cost assessment of environmental degradation in the Middle East and North Africa region – selected issues
- B. Larsen / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- This paper estimates the cost of inadequate potable water, sanitation and hygiene, outdoor air pollution, and cropland degradation in 16 countries of the Arab League. The paper pointes that the 16 countries under study represent great...
- Somalian piracy: an alternative perspective
- P.K. Ghosh / Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi 2010
- The tendency of nation States to attempt solving the problem of modern piracy exclusively through the employment of their naval and military might is a flawed effort and has, more often than not, proved unsuccessful. At best, it has r...
- Peace and Security Council Report: Issue 66
- Institute for Security Studies 2015
- This edition includes: Special Focus: African Union summit: Heads of state of the PSC deferred the tabling of a crucial report on South Sudan and decided to send a regional force to combat Boko Haram. A range of side me...
- Kenya’s military intervention in Somalia: an intricate process
- L. Miyandazi / African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes 2012
- In the midst of Somalia’s decades of conflict, al-Shabaab, a Somalia-based terrorist group with al-Qaeda links, has become particularly noticeable not only nationally but also regionally. Foreign intervention, therefore, is no n...
- The elusive quest for Arab economic development
- A. Galal; H. Selim / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2012
- Today, Arab countries are not considered developed by international standards. This paper reviews the development experience of the Arab countries since World War II, arguing that the lack of inclusive economic and political instituti...
- A pocket of stability: understanding Somaliland
- D.R. Forti / African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes 2011
- On 18 May 2011 the self-proclaimed and unrecognised state of Somaliland celebrated its twentieth year of de facto independence from the Somali Republic. Emerging after the collapsed Siad Barre regime in 1991, Somaliland has developed ...