Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Sharing and Learning on the Inclusion of Ageing and Disability in the Syrian Crisis
- Women's Refugee Commission 2015
- An estimated 22 percent of Syrian refugees in Jordan and Lebanon have impairments. Older persons constitute five percent of the Syrian community in host countries. In May 2014, UNHCR, Handicap International, HelpAge International and ...
- Falling Through the Cracks: Refugee Women and Girls in Germany and Sweden
- Marcy Hersh; Katharina Obser / Women's Refugee Commission 2016
- This short (20 page) report overview looks at the reality for refugee women and girls living in Germany and Sweden. Both countries have welcomed unprecedented numbers of refugees however the magnitude and speed of the migration has le...
- Older voices in humanitarian crises: calling for change
- HelpAge International 2016
- This report documents the situation of older refugees fleeing from conflict in Syria, Ukraine and South Sudan. The findings contribute to a growing body of evidence illustrating the failure of the humanitarian system to protect older ...
- Roots of the Syrian crisis
- V.P. Haran / Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, India 2016
- In December 2010, when trouble erupted in Tunisia, the Arab countries of West Asia and North Africa were mired in serious problems. In the entire Arab world, political freedom was at a premium, to varying degrees. There was large scal...
- A note on Syrian refugees in the Gulf: attempting to assess data and policies
- F. De Bel-Air / European University Institute, Italy 2015
- As the migrant crisis escalates at Europe’s borders, the Gulf States have been blamed for having offered “zero resettlement” to Syrian refugees. In response to these statements, some Gulf States claim that they have ...
- Breaking the silence: hope for a new life
- United Nations Population Fund 2015
- More than four years of war have ravaged Syrian families and communities, Syrian women and girls are living through the most damaging conflict in the region’s recent history. Female refugees are sometimes subjecte...
- Dimensions of gender-based violence against Syrian refugees in Lebanon
- Anani G. / Forced Migration Review 2013
- In times of conflict everyone is affected by violence; however, women and girls in particular are more at risk of facing different forms of violence including sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) due to the lack of social protectio...
- The Malala of Syria
- J. Chen / United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees 2015
- This short film (3 mins) tells the story of Muzon a young Syrian woman who is a passionate advocate for the education of girls and young women in Jordan’s refugee camps. Education has always played a big part in Muzon’s li...
- Women and Girls Safe Spaces - A guidance note based on lessons learned from the Syrian Crisis
- M Maglietti; J Miquel / United Nations Population Fund 2015
- The creation of women and girls safe spaces (WGSS) has emerged as a key strategy for the protection and empowerment of women and girls affected by the Syrian crisis. This document provides an overview of what safe spaces are and what ...
- Population ageing in Arab countries
- H. Haffoudhi; R. Mehdi; G. Abdelkader / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2015
- In the Arab region, where the onset of fertility decline is a relatively recent trend, the process of ageing is also in its early stage. Nevertheless, in the wake of the rapidly changing demographic situation in the region, the need t...