Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Social protection for food security: A report by the High Level Panel of Experts on Food Security and Nutrition
- Social protection has risen rapidly up the development policy agenda in the last decade. There is also a clear trend to making social protection, as well as food security, rights-based rather than discretionary...
- Disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation in the Pacific: an institutional and policy analysis
- J. E. Hay / International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR), 2012
- Disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) both share a common focus: reducing the vulnerability of communities and contributing to sustainable development. This study provides an analysis of the current level o...
- Improving the effectiveness of social spending in Pacific countries in light of the economic crisis
- S. Feeny / Oxfam Australia, 2010
- Whilst at a macroeconomic level, the Global Economic Crisis (GEC) has had less impact on many Pacific countries than on most other developing countries, impacts from the GEC are ongoing and vary greatly across Pacific countr...
- Case studies of water, sanitation and hygiene initiatives by NGOs
- International Water Centre, 2008
- This online book documents approaches that non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have devised to promote water, sanitation and hygiene initiatives in South East Asia and the Pacific. It provides an opportunity for those in the region ...
- Limited impact of aid to the Pacific
- B.B. Rao; K.L. Sharma; R. Singh; N. Lata / United Nations University, 2007
- Pacific Island Countries (PICs) face unique economic challenges including high vulnerability to natural disasters and remoteness from major ports and export markets. This paper examines the impact of growth factors on the economy of t...
- Major trade-related elements of the tuna fishing industry in the Western Central Pacific Ocean
- L. Campling; E. Havice; V. Ram-Bidesi / Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA), 2007
- This Guidebook outlines the major trade-related elements of the tuna fishing industry in the Western Central Pacific Ocean. It is intended to serve as a reference guide to assist the Forum Fisheries Agency and trade officials and tuna...
- Infrastructure is vital for pro-poor growth in East Asia
- Mark Baird; Rita Nangia; Yasuo Fujita / id21 Development Research Reporting Service, 2007
- East Asian states have made impressive progress with economic growth and poverty reduction. However, some are struggling to meet demand for roads, water, communications, and power. Private investment in infrastructure is slow, especia...
- Governments must invest in infrastructure, prepare risk management strategies to boost national food production
- K.L. Sharma / World Institute for Development Economics Research (WIDER), 2006
- This paper analyses the status of food security in several South Pacific Island countries, namely Cook Islands, Fiji Islands, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, and Vanuatu. It looks at both the national and household le...
- Policies to address food security in small island economies in the Caribbean and the Pacific
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2005
- This paper presented to a special FAO ministerial session in 2005 outlines policies for food security in Small Island Developing States (SIDS) based around three main criteria: food availability depends on domest...
- New framework for preventing chronic disease: learning from Indonesia, Philippines, Tonga and Vietnam
- J.E. Epping-Jordan; G. Galea; C. Tukuitonga; R. Beaglehole / The Lancet, 2005
- This article, the second in the Lancet series on chronic non-communicable diseases (NCDs), presents a planning framework for preventing chronic diseases, divided into key steps or stages, which can be used in settings with limited res...