Uganda and Children and young people
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS children & young people collection
- Search for the latest children & young people-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Changing Patterns of Access to Education in Anglophone and Francophone Countries in Sub Saharan Africa: Is Education for All Pro-Poor?
- K.M. Lewin / Consortium for Research on Educational Access, Transitions and Equity, 2011
- This paper explores patterns of growth in participation in six Anglophone and seven Francophone countries in SSA with Universal Primary Education programmes. The results show that progress has been patchy and sometimes disappointing. ...
- Physical and sexual violence is associated with multiple adverse health behaviours
- D. W. Brown; L. Riley; A. Butchart / Bulletin of the World Health Organization : the International Journal of Public Health, 2009
- This article, published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, examines associations between exposure to physical violence (PV) or sexual violence (SV) and adverse health behaviours among a sample of children in five Africa...
- How to choose a vocation based on market demand – a guide for youth
- K. Bidwell; C. Galbraith; L. Haddad / Women's Refugee Commission, 2008
- Vocational training is at the intersection of economic recovery, education and rehabilitation and reintegration. It is uniquely positioned to meet the demands of youth and broader goals of economic reconstruction in post-conflict area...
- How effectively do National Plans of Action address the needs of the youngest orphans and vulnerable children?
- P. Engle / Bernard van Leer Foundation, 2008
- Although it is recognised that the focus of support must be on all children made vulnerable by HIV and AIDS, including those living with sick parents or in extreme poverty, the youngest are often invisible to programme planners, despi...
- Voices from children and youth abducted by the LRA, Uganda
- V. Chrobok; A.S. Akutu; L Dowdney (ed) / Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers, 2008
- In the course of the 21-year armed conflict between the government of Uganda and the Lords Resistance Army (LRA), in northern Uganda, thousands of children and youth have been abducted by the LRA and forced to participate in viol...
- A policy guide to ending girl child marriage
- International Center for Research on Women, USA, 2007
- Girls who marry as children (younger than 18 years of age) are often more susceptible to the health risks associated with early sexual initiation and childbearing, including HIV and obstetric fistula. Lacking status and power, these g...
- Forced marriage in the Lords Resistence Army, Uganda
- K. Carlson; D. Mazurana / Feinstein International Center, USA, 2008
- This paper focuses on the experiences of those women and girls forcibly married within the Lords Resistence Army (LRA) in Uganda, and their attempts to reintegrate in civilian life after captivity. It documents and describes how femal...
- Confronting issues for female youth in northern Uganda
- J. Annan; C. Blattman; K. Carlson; D. Mazurana / Global Development and Environment Institute, Tufts University, 2008
- As peace talks being brokered by the Government of southern Sudan offer the prospect of an end to one of Africa’s longest conflicts (between the Government of Uganda and the Lords Resistance Army), this paper carries out a thema...
- Early marriages in Uganda's refugee settlements
- Refugee Law Project, Uganda, 2008
- This report examines the widespread occurrence of early marriages in Uganda’s refugee settlements and how this phenomenon relates to the ‘vulnerability’ and self-reliance paradigms which underpin official protection ...
- Harmonising child rights laws in Eastern and Southern Africa
- African Child Policy Forum, 2007
- This report reviews and analyses how far 19 Eastern and Southern African countries have gone in harmonising and implementing the principles of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and the African Charter on the Righ...