Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- The promise of transformation through participation: an analysis of communal councils in Caracas, Venezuela
- J.C. Triviño Salazar / Erasmus School of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam 2013
- The Hugo Chavez’s administration endorsed the creation of thousands of allegedly self-governing CCs in every neighbourhood of every city or town in the country. The initial goal was to address people’s most urgent needs wh...
- Direct distribution of oil revenues in Venezuela: a viable alternative?
- P. Rodriquez; J. Morales; F. Monadi / Center for Global Development, USA 2012
- Venezuela is the textbook case of a resource-rich country. Between 1950 and 2008, oil generated over $1 trillion of income for the state. The country’s proven reserves, at 7 million barrels per Venezuelan, are the largest in the...
- Recognition of indigenous justice in Latin America
- Evidence and Lessons from Latin America 2013
- Throughout most of the 19th and 20th centuries, the reality of indigenous communities has largely been one of political subjugation and economic exploitation. The aim of Latin American nation-states was largely to make indigenous comm...
- Co-operation in the South Atlantic Zone: amplifying the African agenda
- A. Lalbahadur; N. Grobbelaar; R.D. Plessisaf / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- South Africa’s foreign policy prioritises peaceful and sustainable growth in Africa by maximising its external engagements in increasingly strategic ways. This paper calls for South Africa to consider broadening its engagement w...
- Trillions gained and lost: estimating the magnitude of growth episodes
- L. Pritchett; K. Sen; S. Kar / Effective States and Inclusive Development Research Centre 2013
- “Steady state” growth rates are bounded below by zero, and historical observation on the economically leading countries suggests 2% annum as an upper bound. However, the current paper indicates that the variance in decadal...
- Governance as a global development goal?: setting, measuring and monitoring the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- D. Hulme; A. Savoia; K. Sen / Effective States and Inclusive Development Research Centre 2014
- The increasing realisation that governance quality is a fundamental element of long-run development has led to its consideration as a desirable development goal in its own right. This paper provides a framework to set, measure and mon...
- The impact of broadband infrastructure on economic growth in Egypt and some Arab and emerging countries
- M. Badran / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Telecommunications networks play a vital role in today’s economies. This study aims at examining the impact of broadband infrastructure on economic growth in in 22 emerging and Arab countries during the period (1998-2008). ...
- Cyclicality of fiscal behavior in developing oil-producing countries: an empirical review
- N. Erbil / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Oil price volatility has increased in recent years, where these large, unpredictable swings have a major impact on fiscal balances in developing oil-producing economies. This paper examines the cyclicality of fiscal behaviour in 28 de...
- Political institutions and sovereign credit spreads
- N. Boubakri; J.C. Cosset; H. Smaoui / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Sovereign spreads are influenced by a large number of factors. The current paper assesses the impact of political factors on sovereign spreads. The paper highlights that its approach is grounded in the political constraints and accoun...
- An empirical growth model for major oil exporters
- H.S. Esfahani; K. Mohaddes; M.H. Pesaran / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2012
- This paper develops a long-run growth model for a major oil exporting economy and derives conditions under which oil revenues are likely to have a lasting impact. The paper uses quarterly data on nine major oil economies, six of which...