Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Lessons learnt and new responses to food insecurity in Southern Africa
- N. Maunder; S. Wiggins / Overseas Development Institute 2007
- This paper reviews progress in addressing widespread chronic food insecurity since the crisis of 2001–03. It assesses changes regarding the understanding of the ‘problem’, to how it has been incorporated into policy,...
- Is South Africa doing enough for Zimbabwean migrants?
- D. Vigneswaran / The Forced Migration Studies Programme, University of the Witwatersrand 2008
- This document examines South Africa’s response to people fleeing from political crises and economic deprivation in one of its immediate neighbours. It also tests prominent claims made about the nature and scope of migration. ...
- Routine antenatal HIV testing should be implemented at all sites in Zimbabwe to maximize the public health impact of PMTCT
- Winfreda Chandisarewa; Lynda Stranix-Chibanda; Elizabeth Chirapa / Bulletin of the World Health Organization : the International Journal of Public Health 2007
- This paper from the World Health Organization aims to assess the impact of routine antenatal HIV testing for preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) in urban Zimbabwe. The study used community counselors, trained ...
- The impact of displaced Zimbabweans on Malawi
- Centre for Human Rights and Rehabilitation 2007
- This research report highlights some key issues regarding the crisis-based displacement of Zimbabweans to Malawi. It illustrates the impact upon, and perceptions of, displaced Zimbabweans and the Malawian communities which host them. ...
- What is the food security outlook for Southern Africa for 2008?
- Food, Agriculture and Natural Resource Policy Analysis Network 2007
- This report summarises the results of a study of the food security outlook for Southern Africa, highlighting the major threats to food security in the period October 2007 to March 2008. It incorporates the findings from six country ou...
- Sothern African armies have an important task in reducing HIV and AIDS
- Institute for Security Studies 2007
- This report from the Institute for Security Studies, South Africa looks at the armies of Botswana, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe in the context of the HIV and AIDS epidemic. These armies report HIV rates between 20 to ...
- Despite some success there is room to improve the multisectoral approach to HIV/AIDS in Zimbabwe
- F Hatendi; E Makondo; M Caesar-Katsenga / Institute for Democracy in South Africa 2005
- This report from the Institute for Democracy in South Africa (IDASA) examines the organisational structure and programmes of the Zimbabwe National AIDS Council (ZNAC). The report, which is comprised of secondary desk research and prim...
- How can Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) improve their interaction with governments?
- K. Muloongo / CIVICUS - World Alliance for Citizen Participation 2007
- Based on three case studies from Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe, this study examines how civil society actors relate to the government and its policies at national levels. It aims to make a contribution to building closer coope...
- Survey of disabled Zimbabweans' experiences of poverty and discrimination
- T. Choruma / Progressio 2007
- Disabled people in Zimbabwe are more likely to experience poverty and discrimination due to social and cultural norms as well as problems with accessing health, education and employment. Legislation makes no provision for affirmative ...
- Zimbabwe's democratic deficit
- L.M. Sachikonye; S. Chawatama; C. Mangongera / EISA 2007
- The paper takes a look at the state of democracy and governance in the Zimbabwe. The report investigates the level of democracy according to four key variables for the assessment of the state of democratic governance: representation a...