UNIDO and energy efficiency: a low-carbon path for industry
The paper says UNIDO adopts a comprehensive approach to promoting and supporting continuous improvement of industrial energy efficiency in developing countries and emerging economies.
It reports that UNIDO currently offers the following services:
- policy support - expert advice to policymakers, technical assistance to develop policy and regulatory frameworks and facilitation of collaboration agreements between public authorities and industrial sectors
- capacity-building and technology transfer through institutional capacity-building on development, implementation and monitoring, tailor-made training programmes, and project-specific technical assistance
- global Forum - organisation of and participation in international and regional events and organisation of experts group meetings that discuss best practices and contribute inputs to the ongoing international debate on and developments related to industrial energy efficiency technologies.
- experiences have shown the primary importance of good energy policies in setting the framework for the achievement of sustainable energy development and climate change mitigation goals, and ensuring their sustainability
- the formulation of efficient, effective and successful industrial energy efficiency policies requires the availability of good quality energy data
- partnerships between industry and government and international cooperation are essential to the development and implementation of successful energy policies.
- the new finance mechanisms provide opportunities for financing energy efficiency and management projects
- UNIDO plays a key role in the development of synergies in the energy sector.