Afghanistan and Conflict and security
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS conflict collection
- Search for the latest conflict-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Listening to women and girls diplaced to urban Afghanistan
- S. Schmeidl; D. Tyler / Norwegian Refugee Council 2015
- Growing numbers of internally displaced people (IDPs) live in informal settlements in major Afghan urban centres. Compared with other Afghans they are more likely to be non-literate, to ...
- IPCS Forecast 2016: cardinal transitions, red herrings, shrinking spaces
- Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, India 2016
- The Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies (IPCS) Forecast 2016 is a collection of writings on the near-term trajectories of a wide range of geographic and thematic issues covering Asia, the United States and Nuclear power and energy...
- State support to insurgents in other states: resolution or worsening of conflict?
- H. Venugopalan / Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, India 2016
- What are the causes and consequences of interventions by other states in the form of support to insurgent groups? Why do countries intervene and support insurgent groups in other countries? ...
- The role of social protection programmes in supporting education in conflict-affected situations
- R. Holmes / UNESDOC: Online UNESCO documents 2010
- This background paper examines the role of social protection programmes in supporting education in conflict-affected contexts. It looks at the impact, design and implementation issues of social protection programme experience in ...
- Policy Brief: Why Women as Peace Negotiators & Peace Builders?
- Afghan Women’s Network (AWN) strongly believe in the inclusion and role of Afghan women as peace builders and negotiators. Despite the fact that women have struggled over years for their inclusion and impactful representation, t...
- China in Afghanistan: balancing power projection and minimal intervention
- H. Chéné / Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies, India 2015
- As it was foreseen, the initial months following the start of the Northern Atlantic Treaty Organisation’s (NATO) withdrawal from Afghanistan were harsh for the Afghan government and civilians. In April 2015, the Taliban launched...
- Resurgence of al-Qaeda in South Asia post-US drawdown
- A. Bhatnagar; W. John / Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi 2015
- As 2014 came to a close, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation A(NATO) ended its then 13-year-old military operations in Afghanistan against the Taliban and al-Qaeda. The US-led international military coalition began its withdrawal o...
- Strengthening rule of law responses to counter violent extremism: what role for civil society in South Asia?
- Institute of South Asian Studies 2015
- Violence and extremism in South Asia, including potential threats posed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), remain a concern for many regional and international observers. Three South Asian countries—Afghanistan,...
- Lessons from Female Engagement Teams: What are the lessons on what worked well with the use of military Female Engagement Teams (both U.K. and U.S.) and what were the main challenges?
- B. Rohwerder (ed) / Governance and Social Development Resource Centre 2015
- This Helpdesk Report responds to the following query: Lessons from Female Engagement Teams: What are the lessons on what worked well with the use of military Female Engagement Teams (both U.K. and U.S.) and what were the main challeng...
- Capacity building in the Ministry of Interior in Fragile and Post-conflict Countries
- E. Lopez Lucia (ed) / Governance and Social Development Resource Centre 2015
- This Helpdesk Report responds to the following query: Capacity building in the Ministry of Interior in fragile and post-conflict countries: Research and evidence on institutional capacity building in the Ministry of Interior in fragil...