Brazil and Environment
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS environment collection
Search for the latest environment-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Mega-dams in the Brazilian Amazon: towards a green, sustainable and inclusive socio-economic paradigm?
- R. Luporini; P. Cruz / BRICS Policy Center / Centro de Estudos e Pesquisas BRICS 2015
- In the last few decades, and especially in the wake of the recent economic crisis, the global economic landscape has been altered while developing countries, particularly those in the BRICS group, have increased their economic and pol...
- Real-time evaluation of Norway's international climate and forest initiative. Literature review and programme theory.
- Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation - NORAD 2016
- The report presents findings of a baseline for a new wave of real time evaluation of Norways International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI). Two separate but closely connected studies have been conducted following an extens...
- Human rights and resource conflicts in the Amazon
- Rainforest Foundation Norway 2015
- The Amazon comprises the largest tract of tropical rainforest in the world. Numerous indigenous peoples have traditionally inhabited this region, and 25 percent of its total land area is formally recognised as indigenous territories. ...
- Towards efficient land use in Brazil
- J. Assunção; J. Chiavari / Climate Policy Initiative 2015
- This report focuses on the promotion of economic growth and improving ecosystem protection within Brazil’s rural landscape. It argues that there is significant potential for simultaneously promoting both these things, but...
- Subsidies to key commodities driving forest loss
- M. McFarland; S. Whitley; G. Kissinger / Overseas Development Institute 2015
- This working paper argues that there is an increasing focus on the role that public and private resources can play in supporting activities that reduce forest loss as part of wider efforts to address climate change, and ensure sustain...
- REDD: A Collection of Conflicts, Contradictions and Lies
- World Rainforest Movement 2015
- The complexity of REDD initiatives from another perspective. REDD: A Collection of Conflicts, Contradictions and Lies presents summaries of reports from 24 REDD projects or programmes with a common character...
- From Brazilian fields to Norwegian farms
- A.K. Garberg / Norwegian Church Aid 2014
- • Brazil has a Federal Constitution and consolidated legislation that provide for the protection of the environment, health and welfare of workers in rural areas. • The large-scale agricultural export model used in Braz...
- Land governance in Brazil: a geo-historical review
- International Land Coalition 2012
- This paper examines the paradoxes of land governance in Brazil by putting them in their historical context, highlighting in particular the continuing subordination of peasant farmers’ interests to those of large landholders. It ...
- A new era in the fight against deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon: opportunities to improve policy effectiveness
- T. Gardner; J. Godar / Stockholm Environment Institute 2014
- The deforestation slowdown in the Amazon is one of the most important environmental success stories of recent decades, with an 83% decrease in the annual rate of deforestation from 2004 to 2012. This accomplishment has enabled Brazil ...
- What drives the global land rush?
- R. Arezki; K. Deininger; H. Selod / Economic Research Forum, Egypt 2011
- Recent increases in the level of agricultural commodity prices and the resulting demand for land has been accompanied by a rising interest in acquiring agricultural land by investors. This paper studies the determinants of foreign lan...