India and Environment
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS environment collection
Search for the latest environment-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Cut out the waste says WaterAid report
- David Redhouse / id21 Development Research Reporting Service 2004
- The Decade for Water in the 1980s failed to secure water and sanitation for all. Today the performance of the water sector remains grossly inadequate: more than a billion people have no access to safe water and 2.6 billion have inadeq...
- Women and scheduled castes poorly represented on Village Forest Committees
- D.D. Sharma / Institute of Economic Growth, India 2003
- Legislation was passed in India in 1992 imparting constitutional status on Panchayati Raj (village-level local government) institutions. This study attempts to assess the success and sustainability of such local institutions (particul...
- Joint Forest Planning and Management programmes of the 1990s failed to benefit villagers in Karnataka
- S. Lélé / Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Environment and Development, Bangalore 2003
- This article attempts to assess whether the promises of the Joint Forest Planning and Management (JFPM) programme initiated in the Indian state of Karnataka in 1993 have materialised in terms of villagers managing their common lands s...
- How can monitoring and change assessment be built into Joint Forest Management?
- P.C. Kotwal; D. Chandurkar / Indian Institute of Forest Management 2003
- This paper describes a system called "adaptive management" and its role in the implementation of Joint Forest Management (JFM) programmes in India. People living in and near to forests in India are very dependent on the forests for fo...
- What are the prospects for India’s energy trading with Central Asian countries?
- B. Nag / Research and Information System for Developing Countries 2004
- India, with its rapidly increasing energy demand and stagnating domestic oil reserves offers a large potential for energy trading for the Central Asian countries, which have oil and gas reserves. This paper discusses the major factors...
- Collection of articles looking at poverty and the environment
- United Nations [UN] Environment Programme 2004
- A collection of articles on poverty and the environment. Content includes: understanding of environment and poverty links environment and health: HIV/AIDS and the environment Israelis and Palestinians ...
- Developing legal frameworks for developing country needs: IPRs and food security
- P. Cullet / International Environmental Law Research Centre 2003
- This paper examines the implications of intellectual property rights (IPRs) on food security and the agricultural sector. India is used as a case study. It argues that significant attention should be given to the development of...
- How nations translate international biotech policy commitments into national legislation in China and India
- P. Newell / Environment Team, IDS Sussex 2003
- This IDS working paper compares the way in which two leading developing countries in the global debate on biotechnology have sought to translate policy commitments contained in international agreements on trade and biosafety into work...
- Intellectual property rights: food for the rich but poison for the poor?
- id21 Development Research Reporting Service 2003
- Can rules concerning intellectual property rights (IPRs) benefit developing countries and reduce poverty? How should IPR rules and regimes cover access to genetic resources? Are the costs involved in patent litigation a necessary pric...
- The destruction of mangroves: case studies from around the world
- World Rainforest Movement 2003
- This book gathers a selection of articles published in the monthly electronic bulletin of the World Rainforest Movement (WRM), addressing the issue of the processes leading to the destruction of mangrove forests and the struggles deve...