Tanzania and Environment
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS environment collection
Search for the latest environment-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Cut out the waste says WaterAid report
- David Redhouse / id21 Development Research Reporting Service 2004
- The Decade for Water in the 1980s failed to secure water and sanitation for all. Today the performance of the water sector remains grossly inadequate: more than a billion people have no access to safe water and 2.6 billion have inadeq...
- Debating natural resource accounting policy options for Tanzania
- W. N. Mkanta; M. M. B. Chimtembo / Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy in Africa, Pretoria 2002
- The aim of this study was twofold: valuation of non-marketed forest resources and proposing means for generation of modified national accounts that would cover the full value of forest resource production (and consumption). Land cover...
- Proposals and strategies to manage and protect fragile ecosystems in East Africa
- J. K. Kairu; G. M. Sikoyo / African Centre for Technology Studies 2002
- The East African Community (EAC) initiated a process to prepare common guidelines for the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of shared aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems of East Africa. The shared terrestrial ecosystems of East Afr...
- A cross-border survey of aquatic-resources management in East Africa
- T.K. Twong'o; G.M. Sikoyo; J.W. Wakhungu / African Centre for Technology Studies 2002
- The East African Community (EAC) initiated a process to prepare common guidelines for the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) of shared aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems of East Africa. The four aquatic ecosystems selected for stud...
- Illegal hunting is related to land use in agriculture, Serengeti
- A. Borge Johannesen / Norwegian University of Science and Technology 2004
- This paper examines the factors which determine participation and effort in illegal hunting, in western Serengeti, Tanzania. It studies the impact on illegal hunting of the integrated conservation and development project, the Serenget...
- Private sector participation in water supply: too fast, too soon?
- Eric Gutierrez / id21 Development Research Reporting Service 2002
- Is water privatisation being over-promoted? Is private sector participation (PSP) in its current forms likely to promote the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals to provide the poor with reliable, affordable and sustainable...
- Interaction between people and wildlife around the Serengeti National Park
- B. P. Kaltenborn; J. W. Nyahongo; M. Mayengo / Norwegian Institute for Nature Research 2003
- This report reviews the results from a survey study in communities adjacent to Serengeti National Park in Tanzania. The aim of the study is to understand the cultural and social aspects of the interactions between people and wildlife,...
- The destruction of mangroves: case studies from around the world
- World Rainforest Movement 2003
- This book gathers a selection of articles published in the monthly electronic bulletin of the World Rainforest Movement (WRM), addressing the issue of the processes leading to the destruction of mangrove forests and the struggles deve...
- How can Tanzania's forests be managed sustainably in the context of confused land tenure?
- G. Mango / Tanzania Online 2001
- This paper begins by exploring the history of tenure in Tanzania's forests. It states that, while the government has retained ownership of forests centrally; locally, people have used forest resources without restriction. This has led...
- A practical guide and case studies for planners.
- J. Treweek / United Nations [UN] Environment Programme 2001
- This report is one of eight thematic reviews prepared for the Biodiversity Planning Support Programme (BPSP)which was created to help countries strengthen national capacity to prepare and implement National Biodiversity Strategies and...