South Africa and Ethical business
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- South African banks footprint in SADC mining projects: environmental, social and governance principles
- M. Milazi / Southern African Resource Watch 2017
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG) concerns are an increasingly important factor worldwide for banks when they invest in large projects. In the Southern African...
- Mineral governance barometer - Southern Africa
- R. Alence; R. Mattes / Southern African Resource Watch 2017
- Southern Africa is endowed with lucrative mineral resources such as diamonds, gold, copper, coal, platinum, and uranium. This rich endowment can be a major asset in the quest for inclusive and sustainable development, yet mining...
- Can workplace secondments build trust in the mining sector?
- J. Van Onselen / South African Institute of International Affairs 2017
- Mutual suspicion has characterised the relationship between the South African government and mining companies, particularly in recent years. Resolving the current impasse would require a panoply of policy interventions because...
- Land, biodiversity and extractive industries in southern Africa: How effective are legal and institutional frameworks in protecting people and the environment?
- Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa 2016
- In the natural resources sector, laws are often formulated to regulate the relationship between men and the environment. Ideally, the law can play a vital role in regulating and protecting communities from adverse environmental and so...
- A perfect storm: migrancy and mining in the North West province
- N. Makgetla; S. Levin / Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies, South Africa 2016
- The platinum industry was severely affected by prolonged strikes in 2012 and 2014 , which lasted for months. Near Marikana in the North West Province of South Africa on 16 August 2015, police fired on strikers, killing 34 miners in th...
- Occupational health and safety and the poorest
- F. Lund; A. Marriot / Women in Informal Employment Globalizing and Organizing 2011
- This report addresses the role of employment in efforts to reduce poverty in the context of increased globalisation and its impacts on labour markets. Worldwide, countries are experiencing a decline of jobs with secure and lasting con...
- Mineral rights, rents and resources in South Africa’s development narrative
- R. Harvey / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- South Africa is endowed with substantial subsoil mineral wealth, yet the development promise typically associated with this wealth has not been realised. Between 2001 and 2008 the South African mining industry contracted at a rate of ...
- Not beating around the Bush: understanding China and South Africa’s illegal wildlife trade
- Y.-S. Wu / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- A major threat to the survival of endangered wildlife species is the absence of consensus on the causes of and solutions to their illegal trade, with this expanding trade causing increasing devastation. The illegal wildlif...
- Corporate social responsibility in South Africa’s mining industry: an assessment
- B. Siyobi / South African Institute of International Affairs 2015
- The corporate social responsibility (CSR) agenda has been a part of the global debate on socio-economic development for many decades. Countless claims have been made that CSR can contribute towards more inclusive development and...
- Mining value chains and green growth in South Africa: A conflictual but intertwined relationship
- G. Montmasson - Clair / Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies, South Africa 2015
- The development of mining value chains is conflictual but deeply intertwined with the goal of sustainable development. The response of mining value chains to the shift to a green economy cannot be business-as-usual and requires ...