Malawi and Agriculture and food
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS agriculture collection
Search for the latest agriculture-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Africa's quest for food security: what is the role of urban agriculture?
- G. Arku / African Capacity Building Foundation 2012
- Urban agriculture is becoming increasingly significant as a source of household food, a trend that is closely linked to declining incomes of vulnerable urban households in the wake of neoliberal economic restructuring, high rates of u...
- Maize productivity and input subsidies in Malawi: a state-contingent stochastic production frontier approach
- S.T. Holden; C.J. O'Donnell / Norwegian University of Life Sciences 2015
- We make cross-sectional comparisons of productivity in a risky agricultural setting. To make meaningful comparisons, we find it necessary to define a new productivity index that satisfies important axioms from index number theory (e.g...
- Making networks work for policy: Evidence from agricultural technology adoption in Malawi
- International Initiative for Impact Evaluation 2015
- Low productivity in agriculture and environmentally unsustainable farming challenges are pressing development challenges for many developing countries. Technologies that would minimize adverse environmental effects and increase long-t...
- Subsidies promote use of drought tolerant maize varieties despite variable yield performance under smallholder environments in Malawi
- S.T. Holden; M. Fisher / Norwegian University of Life Sciences 2015
- This study used a three-year panel dataset for 350 Malawian farm households to examine the potential for widespread adoption of drought tolerant (DT) maize varieties, a technology that holds considerable promise for helping smallholde...
- Gender review of selected programmes in the agriculture portfolio of the Norwegian Embassy in Malawi
- B. Maal / Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation - NORAD 2015
- In Malawi, the Global Hunger Index classifies the food security situation as “serious”. Lack of food security causes child undernutrition and child mortality. Levels of malnutrition are alarmingly high. About half of all c...
- Capacity building material for the realization of farmers rights in Malawi: farmers' rights related to plant genetic resources for food and agriculture in Malawi
- J.C. Posada / Development Fund, Norway 2015
- The capacity building material on Farmers’ Rights is framed within the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. The International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture, ...
- The politics of seed in Africa's green revolution: alternative narratives and competing pathways
- I. Scoones; J. Thompson / Institute of Development Studies UK 2011
- As calls for a ‘uniquely African green revolution’ gain momentum, a focus on seeds and seed systems is rising up the agricultural policy agenda. Much of the debate stresses the technological or market dimensions, with subs...
- Qualitative research and analyses of the economic impacts of cash transfer programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa
- P. Pozarny; V. Barca; S. Brook / Food and Agriculture Organization Corporate Document Repository 2015
- This report synthesizes the analysis and findings of a set of six country case studies that explore the impact of cash transfer (CT) programmes on household economic decision-making and the local economy in sub-Saharan Africa. ...
- Food security in a climate perspective: what role could the private sector play regarding investment in smallholder agriculture in Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania and Zambia
- M.E. Bachke; R. Haug / Noragric, Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences 2014
- The purpose of this study is to discuss different ways of implementing the "Food Security in a Climate Perspective strategy 2013-15" in relation to support to private sector develo...
- Exchanging fertilizer for votes?
- N. B. Westberg / Norwegian University of Life Sciences 2015
- Several countries have made targeted input subsidy programs an integral part of their policies for improving food security. Given the programs' ofte centralized structure and targeting of private goods nation-wide, these may als...