South Africa and Gender
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
Search BRIDGE's database of gender-focused material
- The BLDS gender collection
Search for the latest gender-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Is violence against women during conflict on the decline?
- A. Pillay / Institute for Security Studies 2005
- This document discusses the relationship between gender and peacekeeping in Africa. It draws on evidence from two Southern African peacekeeping experiences: the United Nations Observer Mission to South Africa (UNOMSA) and the Org...
- Prevailing gender biases in South African advertising
- C.L. Morna; S. Ndlovu / Gender Links, Johannesburg 2007
- Covering 1,650 radio, television, print and billboard advertisements in Mauritius, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe, this study establishes how women and men are represented and portrayed in advertising. Key findings of th...
- Maternal, child and women's health in South Africa: review 2006
- A. Padarath / Health Systems Trust, South Africa 2007
- What are the achievements, challenges and gaps that impact on transformation and strengthening of the South African health system? The South African Health Review (SAHR) serves as a knowledge resource on the development of the nationa...
- Creating working relationships between the media and LGBTI communities
- D. Walter; N. Ndlovu / Community Media for Development 2006
- There is still widespread discrimination against LGBTI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex) communities in South Africa. Can the media do better to cover the sector? The aim of this document is to identify opportunities ...
- Rexamine liberalistation programmes in a gendered context
- L.L. Pheko / AfricaFiles 2007
- The Economic Partnership Agreements (EPAs) imply improved job security, livelihoods, well-being and human rights, but for whom? The author contends that gender impacts of liberalisation of EPAs are seldom considered. This review exami...
- Can small-scale anti-poverty initiatives reduce women's exposure to violence and HIV infection?
- P. Pronyk; J. Hargreaves; J. Kim; L. Morison / The Lancet 2006
- This article from the Lancet provides evidence that microfinance initiatives combined with gender and HIV training can reduce levels of intimate partner violence. This in turn can potentially reduce levels of risk in relation to HIV. ...
- What is needed to break the link between HIV/AIDS and violence?
- L. Schechtman / Global AIDS Alliance 2006
- This document describes a framework for a comprehensive response to violence against women and children, including the resources that would be needed, political and financial, for full implementation. It discusses the various arenas a...
- Violence against women in South African schools
- S. Haffejee / Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation, South Africa 2006
- Violence against adolescent girls in South Africa takes place against a backdrop of pervasive gender violence in society and stems in part from unequal power relations and strong patriarchal values. This study is based on focus group ...
- Gender issues in the table grapes industry in South Africa
- S. Barrientos; S. McClenaghan; L. Orton / Christian Aid 2006
- This report presents the findings of a research project analysing gender issues in the table grapes industry in South Africa supplying the UK retail market. The project aimed at examining the gender dimension of horticultural employme...
- Gender analysis of social security in South Africa
- F. Lund / Human Sciences Research Council, South Africa 2006
- This paper attempts to lay the basis for a gendered analysis of the scope, coverage and impact of the main components of social assistance in South Africa. This gendered approach draws attention to the serious gaps in knowledge about ...