Uganda and Gender
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
Search BRIDGE's database of gender-focused material
- The BLDS gender collection
Search for the latest gender-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Alcohol and gender
- I.S. Obot; R. Room / Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence, WHO 2005
- The central theme of this book argues that in order to understand alcohol consumption and its consequences, we need to better understand social and cultural influences on the differences between men and women. The countries specifical...
- Modern slavery – how to end it?
- Department for International Development, UK 2006
- Today people are still suffering from forms of slavery and human trafficking. This brochure, launched by International Development Secretary Hilary Benn, illustrates the shocking issue of contemporary slavery, how it relates to povert...
- Protecting girls in fighting forces: the cases of Northern Uganda, Sierra Leone and Mozambique
- S. Mackay; D. Mazurana / Rights and Democracy, International Centre for Human Rights and Democratic Development 2004
- Girls in fighting forces have suffered major human rights violations, especially gender-based violence. The aim of this book is to inform child protection advocacy at all levels about the presence of girls in fighting forces worldwide...
- The impact of emergencies on women and children
- United Nations Children's Fund 2007
- This Humanitarian Action Report 2007 outlines UNICEFs appeal for children and women in 33 emergencies around the world. In each country it looks at critical issues for children, key actions and achievements in 2006 and planned h...
- Survey findings on experiences of physical, sexual and psychological abuse
- J. Stavropoulos / African Child Policy Forum 2006
- This report presents the results of retrospective surveys in Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda on young women's experiences of violence before they were 18 years old. Surveys were taken of a group of 500 young women in each of the capital ci...
- Involving women in peacebuiding
- International Crisis Group 2006
- This report addresses the importance of ensuring the inclusion of women in peacebuilding in Sudan, Congo (DRC), and Uganda. The report points out that one of the main hindrances to womens inclusion is the discrimination and viol...
- Assessing the outcome of cash for work in five countries
- Oxfam 2005
- This paper gives an overview of Oxfams experience with cash for work programmes in five countries as part of their recovery programmes following natural disasters or conflicts. The countries are Bangladesh, Kenya, Uganda, Haiti,...
- World Visions work: empowerment of women and girls
- World Vision International Resources on Child Rights 2006
- This publication is World Visions briefing paper to the 50th Commission on the Status of Women. It focuses on World Visions work to empower and advance the status of women and girls while assisting the entire community in ...
- Gender equality in Africa: overcoming local resistance
- S. Wendoh; T. Wallace / Oxfam 2005
- This article looks at the reasons for resistance to gender mainstreaming initiatives among local NGOs and communities in Zambia, Rwanda, Uganda and the Gambia. It is based on research carried out by Transform Africa, which aimed to en...
- Flexible approach to education for nomadic and pastoralist children is needed
- Oxfam 2005
- This paper illustrates the challenges involved in providing good-quality gender-equitable education for children of nomadic and pastoralist households who are beyond the reach of mainstream, formal education. Some of the key is...