Kenya and Governance
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS governance collection
Search for the latest governance-related print documents on this country from the British Library for Development Studies collection
- Interrogating Decentralisation in Africa
- Shandana Khan Mohmand (ed); M. Loureiro (ed) / Institute of Development Studies UK 2017
- This issue of the Open Access IDS Bulletin examines the impact of decentralisation at the local level through detailed case studies of five countries Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia. The issue deals with all three of...
- Do electoral handouts affect voting behavior?
- J. Guardado; L. Wantchekon / Afrobarometer 2017
- The literature on vote-buying often assumes a complete transaction of cash for votes. While there is ample evidence that candidates target certain voters with cash handouts, it is unclear whether these actually result in highe...
- Provision of social protection services by non-state actors in Nyanza Region Kenya : assessing women empowerment
- A. Nzioki; W. Mwasiaji / Partnership for African Social and Governance Research 2015
- In Kenya, women are more likely than men to suffer poverty and its associated vulnerabilities, mainly because they are excluded from decision-making on economic issues, they have limited access to the factors of production, pa...
- Kenya’s regional diplomacy: peripheral or adaptive pragmatism?
- K. Emmanuel / South African Institute of International Affairs 2016
- Kenya has, for some time, been dismissed as a reluctant regional actor. Those who question its influence and lack of leverage in regional geopolitics point to the countrys comparatively better economy and draw attention ...
- The role of human rights in climate change adaptation: evidence from civil society in Cambodia and Kenya
- Danish Institute for International Studies 2014
- Inconsistent climate change policies increase the vulnerability of marginalised populations and lead to resource conflicts. A human rights-based approach can help protect the adaptive capacities of climate vulnerable populations. ...
- The East African energy frontier, a decade on
- A. Hayman / South African Institute of International Affairs 2016
- The East Africa region has seen some of the decade s largest natural gas and energy finds. However, despite their magnitude, these discoveries have yet to fulfil the promise of social and economic progress. With some sig...
- Violent extremism in Africa: public opinion from the Sahel, Lake Chad, and the Horn
- Afrobarometer 2016
- Over the past two decades, the threat posed by violent extremist groups that espouse fundamentalist religious narratives has grown substantially across Africa (Hallowanger, 2014). The colonial era and the undemocratic rule tha...
- When refugees cannot return home: A conflict conundrum in Africa’s Great Lakes region
- K.F. Tunda / African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes 2016
- The large number of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the Great Lakes region poses immense challenges to peacebuilding processes within the countries affected, as well as in that entire conflict system. An influx of ...
- Collective land access rights for enhancing smallholder livelihoods
- Evidence and Lessons from Latin America 2015
- Land liberalisation policies and programmes based on giving individual property rights implemented in the last decades have not produced the expected results in improving rural peasant and/or native livelihoods in Andean and African c...
- Women as agents of change in water: reflections on experiences from the field
- A. Bouman-Dentener / UN Women 2015
- The Women for Water Partnership (WfWP) currently includes 26 women’s networks covering around 100 countries, predominantly in the developing world. This publication pays tribute to some of the work of women’s organisations...