South Africa and Assessing governance democracy
Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- Are South Africa's youth really a 'ticking time bomb'?
- R. Mattes; S. Richmond / Afrobarometer 2015
- This paper reviews longitudinal survey data on South Africa’s political culture produced by the Institute for Democracy in South Africa (1994-1998) and Afrobarometer (2000-2011) and finds that while there are real problems with ...
- South Africa's emerging black middle class: A harbinger of political change?
- R. Mattes / Afrobarometer 2014
- South Africa has seen a significant increase in the size of its black middle class in the post-apartheid period, but the attitudinal consequences of indicators of the middle class, as of 2011, are inconsistent and modest in size. Whil...
- Assessing voter behaviour as an accountability mechanism in South Africa
- C. Schulz-Herzenberg (ed) / Institute for Security Studies 2009
- Allowing citizens to decide whether or not to extend a government’stenure through regular elections is the principal mechanism of politicalaccountability. It compels politicians to be more responsive to theelectorate’s nee...
- Strengthening institutions to sustain democratic governance in the SADC region
- K. Matlosa (ed) / Electoral Institute of Southern Africa 2008
- The SADC region has made strides towards democratic governance but still faces numerous democratic deficits that need serious attention if democratic consolidation is to occur and endure. This study investigates causal and incidental ...
- Practical experiences of social accountability in Africa
- O. Shisana; M. Claasen (ed); C.A. Lardies (ed) / Affiliated Network for Social Accountability 2010
- There are numerous examples of how citizens and civil society groups hold their government, private sector actors and donors accountable. However, these initiatives are often not known beyond the borders of the state or country where ...
- Lack of constitutionalism hits African governance
- Y. T u r i a n s k y i / South African Institute of International Affairs 2009
- This paper analyses the discussion and recommendations about Africa's pressing political governance issues - including the separation of powers, election management and corruption - from the APRM reports of Ghana, Rwanda, Kenya, South...