Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Confidence, capacity, connections: a young woman's guide to leadership
- G Borovsky; S Cherrabi El Alaoui; M Doherty / National Democratic Institute, 2010
- Civic and political engagement can be a daunting challenge, particularly for young women. This guide is designed for a wide range of young women, be they a member of an established organisation or association, an aspiring politician, ...
- Helpdesk Report: Libyan health service capacity
- L. Bolton / Department for International Development, UK, 2011
- This report includes information on Libyan health service capacity, the health service response to the crisis, technical capacity of staff, reliance on foreign health workers, medical supply distribution system, decentralisation of se...
- Autocracies, democratization and development in the Arab region
- S. Makdisi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- This paper focuses on the relationship between economic, political and historical factors in current Arab countries. The paper indicates that in the post second world war period, Arab political institutions generally have not been ope...
- Creating incentives for more effective wastewater reuse in the Middle East and North Africa
- M. Jeuland / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- Systematic water recycling remains rare in many arid and semi-arid countries, for example in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This paper argues that much of the relative failure to make greater use of reclaimed wastewater in M...
- Politics, economics, and violence: the organization of societies and third-party enforcement
- J. Wallis / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- This paper is sought to review the nexus between governments and economies and the nature of their interaction, particularly the ability of governments to enforce rules by serving as an unbiased third-party enforcer of public laws. ...
- Cyclicality of fiscal behavior in developing oil-producing countries: an empirical review
- N. Erbil / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- Oil price volatility has increased in recent years, where these large, unpredictable swings have a major impact on fiscal balances in developing oil-producing economies. This paper examines the cyclicality of fiscal behaviour in 28 de...
- Did the global financial crisis and recession contribute to the uprisings in North Africa?
- H. Aly; M. Strazicich / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- The uprisings in North Africa in 2011 has induced many analysts to suggest a host of factors as the root cause of the turmoil. This paper asks: did the global financial crisis of 2007-2009 affect economic growth in the North African c...
- What drives the global land rush?
- R. Arezki; K. Deininger; H. Selod / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- Recent increases in the level of agricultural commodity prices and the resulting demand for land has been accompanied by a rising interest in acquiring agricultural land by investors. This paper studies the determinants of foreign lan...
- Peace and Security Council Report: Issue 66
- Institute for Security Studies, 2015
- This edition includes: Special Focus: African Union summit: Heads of state of the PSC deferred the tabling of a crucial report on South Sudan and decided to send a regional force to combat Boko Haram. A range of side me...
- Emigration and origin country’s institutions: does the destination country matter?
- M. Beine; K. Sekkat / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2012
- The causes and consequences on international labour migration is a one of the liveliest debate among contemporary international economists. This paper examines the influence of international migration on the evolution of the quality o...