Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Understanding democratic transition using self-organizing maps: a special focus on Arab spring countries
- H. Haffoudhi; R. Mehdi; G. Abdelkader / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2015
- In December 2010, a popular protest movement erupted in Tunisia and spread to Egypt, Libya, and across the Middle East. However, although “Arab Spring” countries began in roughly similar places, the current paper clarifies...
- Public spending efficiency, governance, and political and economic policies: is there a substantial causal relation? Evidence from selected MENA countries
- R. Brini; H. Jemmali / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2015
- This paper seeks a robust methodology for the estimation of the relative public spending efficiency of eleven Middle East and North Africa (MENA) countries over the period 1996-2011. Using the non-parametric Data Envelopment Analysis ...
- Cost assessment of environmental degradation in the Middle East and North Africa region – selected issues
- B. Larsen / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- This paper estimates the cost of inadequate potable water, sanitation and hygiene, outdoor air pollution, and cropland degradation in 16 countries of the Arab League. The paper pointes that the 16 countries under study represent great...
- Income level and environmental quality in the MENA countries: discussing the environmental Kuznets curve hypothesis
- H. M'henni; M.E.H. Arouri; A.B. Youssef / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- The relationship between environmental quality and economic growth is puzzling. This paper illustrates that according to the Environmental Kuznets Curve (EKC) hypothesis, as income increases, emissions increase as well until some thre...
- Climate change policy in the MENA region: prospects, challenges, and the implication of market instruments
- M.H. Babiker; M.A. Fehaid / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- Given its harsh climate and fragile ecosystems, the MENA region is vulnerable to the physical impacts of climate change; yet, given its high dependency on hydrocarbon resources, the region is also vulnerable to the impacts of climate ...
- Sustainable development and environmental challenges in the MENA region: accounting for the environment in the 21st century
- S.L. Sakmar; M. Wackernagel; A. Galli / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- Although many of MENA’s economic challenges have been widely analysed, environmental challenges are rarely taken into consideration in the process of formulating economic policies in the region. This paper addresses the major ga...
- Confidence, capacity, connections: a young woman's guide to leadership
- G Borovsky; S Cherrabi El Alaoui; M Doherty / National Democratic Institute, 2010
- Civic and political engagement can be a daunting challenge, particularly for young women. This guide is designed for a wide range of young women, be they a member of an established organisation or association, an aspiring politician, ...
- Helpdesk Report: Libyan health service capacity
- L. Bolton / Department for International Development, UK, 2011
- This report includes information on Libyan health service capacity, the health service response to the crisis, technical capacity of staff, reliance on foreign health workers, medical supply distribution system, decentralisation of se...
- Autocracies, democratization and development in the Arab region
- S. Makdisi / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- This paper focuses on the relationship between economic, political and historical factors in current Arab countries. The paper indicates that in the post second world war period, Arab political institutions generally have not been ope...
- Creating incentives for more effective wastewater reuse in the Middle East and North Africa
- M. Jeuland / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2011
- Systematic water recycling remains rare in many arid and semi-arid countries, for example in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This paper argues that much of the relative failure to make greater use of reclaimed wastewater in M...