Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Somalian piracy: an alternative perspective
- P.K. Ghosh / Observer Research Foundation, New Delhi, 2010
- The tendency of nation States to attempt solving the problem of modern piracy exclusively through the employment of their naval and military might is a flawed effort and has, more often than not, proved unsuccessful. At best, it has r...
- Peace and Security Council Report: Issue 66
- Institute for Security Studies, 2015
- This edition includes: Special Focus: African Union summit: Heads of state of the PSC deferred the tabling of a crucial report on South Sudan and decided to send a regional force to combat Boko Haram. A range of side me...
- Kenya’s military intervention in Somalia: an intricate process
- L. Miyandazi / African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes, 2012
- In the midst of Somalia’s decades of conflict, al-Shabaab, a Somalia-based terrorist group with al-Qaeda links, has become particularly noticeable not only nationally but also regionally. Foreign intervention, therefore, is no n...
- The elusive quest for Arab economic development
- A. Galal; H. Selim / Economic Research Forum, Egypt, 2012
- Today, Arab countries are not considered developed by international standards. This paper reviews the development experience of the Arab countries since World War II, arguing that the lack of inclusive economic and political instituti...
- A pocket of stability: understanding Somaliland
- D.R. Forti / African Centre for Constructive Resolution of Disputes, 2011
- On 18 May 2011 the self-proclaimed and unrecognised state of Somaliland celebrated its twentieth year of de facto independence from the Somali Republic. Emerging after the collapsed Siad Barre regime in 1991, Somaliland has developed ...
- The power these men have over us: sexual exploitation and abuse by African Union Forces in Somalia
- Human Rights Watch, 2014
- This research document provides findings on sexual exploitation and abuse in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, predominantly by personnel of the Ugandan People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) at and around the African Union Mission in Soma...
- Radicalisation and al-Shabaab recruitment in Somalia
- M. Abdile / Institute for Security Studies, 2014
- Effective counter-radicalisation strategies should be based on an empirical understanding of why people join terrorist organisations. Researchers interviewed former al-Shabaab fighters and identified a complex array of reasons for why...
- Stoning in Iran, Somalia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Afghanistan & Sudan
- W. Fautré; A. Iman; F. Timmins 2012
- The practice of stoning is closely associated with religious laws and observances. In ancient times, many communities used the practice to punish those who were deemed to have gone against God, challenged existing norms or threatened ...
- Assessing drought displacement risk for Kenyan, Ethiopian and Somali pastoralists
- J. Ginnetti; T. Franck / Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre, 2014
- This study represents an initial attempt to assess patterns of displacement related to droughts in selected countries of the Horn of Africa, specifically the border regions of Kenya, Ethiopia and Somalia. The analysis is based ...
- Disaster-related displacement from the Horn of Africa
- V. Kolmannskog; T. Afifi / Norwegian Refugee Council, 2014
- Between 2008 and 2012, 144 million people were forced to leave their homes by sudden-onset disasters around the world. The vast majority of them fled from floods, storms and wildfires and others effects of climate change. Most remain ...
- Institute for Practical Research and Training, Somalia (IPR / IPRT)
- Independent research and training educational institute. IPRT operates an independent research center where Somali and non-Somali scholars conduct research on selected post-war reconstruction issues (including landmines, political development) WWW site includes full text of publications and conference proceedings
- Somalia Online
- Site containing reports and links to general information on Somalia and events taking place. Links to country information, maps, current and past news reports.