Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- Somalia: Fighting the odds in the search for peace after the transition
- A, Atta-Asamoah / Institute for Security Studies, South Africa, 2014
- Despite renewed hope in the future of Somalia, post-transition efforts towards peace and stability in this country face numerous challenges. This situation report notes that progress will be defined by the dynamics surrounding the str...
- “Here, rape is normal”: A five-point plan to curtail sexual violence in Somalia
- Human Rights Watch, 2014
- This report highlights the issue of sexual violence in Somalia, in a context of two decades of civil conflict and a large population of displaced persons and other people vulnerable to sexual violence. State institutions have been des...
- Somalia: Clan and state politics
- A.H.A. Ahmed; M.S. Samantar; S. Musau / Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, 2013
- A Somali state, or a functioning approximation of it, has failed to exist,maybe in the first place, in the hearts and the minds of the Somalis themselves, at least so far. Stateness, like any other social construction, finds in collec...
- Promoting national identities
- S. Herbert / Governance and Social Development Resource Centre, 2013
- This helpdesk report seeks to answer the following questions on national identity in particular relation to Somalia. Query: Identify approaches that attempt to understand and promote the generation of national identities. What ...
- What can be learned from Somalia's transition process?
- Institute for Security Studies, South Africa, 2013
- Somalia’s troubled recent history began with the fall of the Siad Barre regime in 1991 and the subsequent outbreak of war among various clan-based actors in the different regions of the country. Since then, all efforts to restor...
- People in crises: tackling the root causes of famine in the Horn of Africa
- H.A. Terefe / Norwegian Agricultural Economics Research Institute, 2012
- In mid-2011 the world became witness to a widespread food crisis in the Horn of Africa, which has escalated into acute shortages of food notably in the regions of southern Somalia, northern Kenya, southeastern Ethiopia and Djibouti. T...
- Knowledge management in practice - Implementing effective knowledge management in emergencies: a case study from Somalia WASH Cluster
- K. Harries / Regional Emergency Cluster Advisor Project, 2013
- In the last two decades few countries have experienced a more protracted emergency than Somalia. Absence of a functioning central government and the ongoing conflict have led to a lack of access to basic social services, resulting in ...
- How can humanitarian and development activities in Somalia be more productive?
- A. Schmidt / Wiley Online Library, 2013
- Multilevel, networked systems of governance are a fundamental fact of life in most African conflict settings. This article looks at the coordination networks that influence the management of aid-in-conflict in the case of Somalia. The...
- Considering the development of political order in Somalia
- D.K. Leonard; M. Samantar / Wiley Online Library, 2013
- The reconstruction of Somalia was envisaged to be built upon a new social contract, which should be negotiated between the superordinate body and the local units of governance. This paper shows that while the founding leaders in north...
- The state of environmental migration 2011
- F. Gemenne / International Organization for Migration, 2012
- This report is the second volume in an annual series, which aims to provide regular assessments on the changing nature and dynamics of environmental migration. This volume focuses on cross-border displacement and the securitisation of...
- Institute for Practical Research and Training, Somalia (IPR / IPRT)
- Independent research and training educational institute. IPRT operates an independent research center where Somali and non-Somali scholars conduct research on selected post-war reconstruction issues (including landmines, political development) WWW site includes full text of publications and conference proceedings
- Somalia Online
- Site containing reports and links to general information on Somalia and events taking place. Links to country information, maps, current and past news reports.