Check the most recent online additions, updated daily.
Content from selected partners can be found by following the relevant links in the central panel below - or check out our editor's selection of the best sector specific information from other websites.
- The BLDS print collection
Browse all the latest print documents from the British Library of Development Studies...
- People in crises: tackling the root causes of famine in the Horn of Africa
- H.A. Terefe 2012
- In mid-2011 the world became witness to a widespread food crisis in the Horn of Africa, which has escalated into acute shortages of food notably in the regions of southern Somalia, northern Kenya, southeastern Ethiopia and Djibouti. T...
- Knowledge management in practice - Implementing effective knowledge management in emergencies: a case study from Somalia WASH Cluster
- K. Harries / Regional Emergency Cluster Advisor Project, 2013
- In the last two decades few countries have experienced a more protracted emergency than Somalia. Absence of a functioning central government and the ongoing conflict have led to a lack of access to basic social services, resulting in ...
- How can humanitarian and development activities in Somalia be more productive?
- A. Schmidt / Wiley Online Library, 2013
- Multilevel, networked systems of governance are a fundamental fact of life in most African conflict settings. This article looks at the coordination networks that influence the management of aid-in-conflict in the case of Somalia. The...
- Considering the development of political order in Somalia
- D.K. Leonard; M. Samantar / Wiley Online Library, 2013
- The reconstruction of Somalia was envisaged to be built upon a new social contract, which should be negotiated between the superordinate body and the local units of governance. This paper shows that while the founding leaders in north...
- The state of environmental migration 2011
- F. Gemenne / International Organization for Migration, 2012
- This report is the second volume in an annual series, which aims to provide regular assessments on the changing nature and dynamics of environmental migration. This volume focuses on cross-border displacement and the securitisation of...
- Translating famine early warning into early action: an east Africa case study
- J. Mosley / Chatham House [Royal Institute of International Affairs], UK, 2012
- This paper considers the political contexts in Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia, how these affected the response to the 2011 Horn of Africa emergency, and the implications for future response. Although the Horn of Africa is often seen as a...
- Gender in emergency food security, livelihoods and nutrition in Somalia
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2012
- This Food and Nutrition Analysis Unit (FNASU) desk based review examines traditional and changing gender roles and responsibilities in food security, livelihood and nutrition, examining what is known about the Somalian context and gap...
- Alternative investment strategies for increasing resilience in the Horn of Africa
- D. Headey; A. S. Taffesse; L. You / International Food Policy Research Institute, 2012
- This discussion paper seeks to explore alternative investment options with the aim of enhancing resilience in the Horn of Africa. Climate change, conflict, drought and increasing populations are leading many to pessimistic conclusions...
- Innovation works:pastoralists building secure livelihoods in the Horn of Africa
- A. Nunow / Future Agricultures Consortium, 2011
- Pastoralist areas of the Horn of Africa are experiencing rapid change. Markets are opening up, helping to improve livelihoods and generate substantial new wealth for local and national economies. Political and constitutional changes a...
- Climate change, vulnerability and human mobility: perspectives of refugees from the east and Horn of Africa
- T. Afifi / United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security, 2012
- This study aims to understand the extent to which refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) have perceived, experienced and responded to climatic variability and long-term negative climatic change in the east and Horn of Africa...
- Institute for Practical Research and Training, Somalia (IPR / IPRT)
- Independent research and training educational institute. IPRT operates an independent research center where Somali and non-Somali scholars conduct research on selected post-war reconstruction issues (including landmines, political development) WWW site includes full text of publications and conference proceedings
- Somalia Online
- Site containing reports and links to general information on Somalia and events taking place. Links to country information, maps, current and past news reports.