Guidelines for preparing a design and monitoring framework
Inadequate planning is one of the main reasons that projects fail. Systematic information gathering, conceptual analysis and involvement of stakeholders in this process are imperative for achieving desired results. These guidelines for the application of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) design and monitoring framework (DMF) approach facilitate this analytical and planning process. They provide programme and project team leaders, team members, consultants, and executing and implementing agencies in developing member countries (DMCs) with a range of analytical tools for better design and subsequent monitoring and evaluation.
The guidelines have been designed as a hands-on toolkit that describes, step by step, the participatory process to develop the design and monitoring framework and explains how to apply participatory design tools. They draw on emerging experiences and best practices as well as practical tips from development practitioners in ADB and other multilateral and bilateral partners.
Specifically, the guidelines:
- provide an approach to facilitate analytical and planning process
- provide a range of analytical tools for better design and subsequent monitoring and evaluation
- a better understanding of the complexity of issues to determine appropriate objectives and select the most suitable strategy to address the development problem
- describe techniques to engage effectively with the borrower, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- offer suggestions on when, with whom and how to apply these tools and techniques
The guidelines are structured as follows
- Chapter 1 provides an overview of the DMF approach and its place and relevance to the Project Performance Systems (PPMS)
- Chapter 2 describes the DMF approach which includes the situational analysis problem and project identification phase
- Chapter 3 provides guidance on translating the results of the analytical and planning process into the DMF matrix
Each of the tools is introduced with step by step explanation and practical tips