- Connecting development actors in Ethiopia: linking climate change, nutrition and gender
Over the past few months, ordinary people from around the globe have taken to the streets to show their concern at the lack of political will to deal with climate change. The world will be watching how our leaders respond over 2015.
One of the issues on the agenda is food security. As demonstrated in the latest IPCC report, climate change is having an impact on already worrying levels of hunger and undernutrition in the world. This evidence has reinforced the importance of agriculture becoming more climate smart in order to: increase food security, adapt to build resilience, and reduce agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions (mitigation).
This blog post examines IDS’ recent work in Ethiopia, touching upon how nutritionists, agriculturalists, gender, environmental and climate change professionals are starting to talk to one another and respond to the need for climate smart agriculture.
Read the full blog here: bit.ly/Ethiopia-project
- Women entrepreneurs – key players in ACP agribusiness development
- I. Boto (ed); A. Moglan (ed); T. Woldetsadick (ed) / Small Island Economies - CTA Brussels, 2015
- Research has found strong reasons to emphasise women’s economic empowerment in developing programs: firstly, economic empowerment is one of the most powerful routes for women to achieve their potential and advance their rights; ...
- Assessing Mali’s L’agence Nationale De La Météorologie’s (Mali Meteo) Agrometeorological Advisory Program: final report on the farmer use of advisories and implications for climate service design
- E.R. Carr (ed); S. Onzere (ed); T. Kalala (ed) / Development Experience Clearinghouse, USAID, 2015
- This report marks the completion of the first detailed assessment of the function and impact of an operational climate services for development program, Mali’s L’Agence Nationale de la Météorologie’s (M...
- The Hunger and Nutrition Commitment Index (HANCI 2014)
- D. J. H. te Lintelo; R. W. D. Lakshman / Institute of Development Studies UK, 2015
- This report presents the Hunger And Nutrition Commitment Index (HANCI) 2014. It seeks to: 1. Rank governments on their political commitment to tackling hunger and undernutrition; 2. Measure what governments achieve and w...
- Edible insects and the future of food: a foresight scenario exercise on entomophagy and global food security
- D. Glover; A. Sexton / Institute of Development Studies UK, 2015
- Researchers have identified more than 1,900 species of insect that feature in human diets around the world. Edible insect species in general are found to be good sources of healthy protein together with some fat and dietary fibre, alo...
- What dimensions of women’s empowerment in agriculture matter for nutrition in Ghana?
- H.J.L. Malapit; A.R. Quisumbing / Food Policy, 2015
- This paper investigates linkages between women’s empowerment in agriculture and the nutritional status of women and children using 2012 baseline data from the Feed the Future population-based survey in northern Ghana. Usi...
- Overview of the scientific, political and financial landscape of Climate-Smart Agriculture in West Africa
- R. Zougmoré (ed); A. Sy Traoré (ed); Y. Mbodj (ed) / Climate Change Agriculture Food Security, 2015
- This report documents and analyses the current and future perspectives of Climate-Smart Agriculture (CSA) for five major sectors in West Africa. It explores the specific features of the scientific, institutional, policy and fun...
- Climate change and the agriculture crisis: agroecology as a solution
- P. Laxmi Thapa / Focus on the Global South, 2015
- This report seeks to answer several questions on climate change, its causes, how it will affect people’s lives and environment and the importance of agroecology within this. It explores how agroecology farms hold immense ...
- Food & Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture - ROSA : Land Tenure And Gender: Approaches And Challenges For Strengthening Rural Women's Land Rights | capacity4dev
- E. Namubiru-Mwaura / World Bank, 2015
- Land tenure security is crucial for women's empowerment and a prerequisite for building secure and resilient communities. Tenure is affected by many and often contradictory sets of rules, laws, customs, traditions, and perceptions. Fo...
- Towards efficient land use in Brazil
- J. Assunção; J. Chiavari / Climate Policy Initiative, 2015
- This report focuses on the promotion of economic growth and improving ecosystem protection within Brazil’s rural landscape. It argues that there is significant potential for simultaneously promoting both these things, but...
- Climate-Smart Agriculture: A call for action - Synthesis of the Asia-Pacifi c Regional Workshop Bangkok, Thailand, 18 to 20 June 2015
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2015
- This report outlines conclusions and recommendations from the ‘Regional Asia-Pacific Workshop on Climate-Smart Agriculture: A call for action’ which was held in June 2015. The workshop, in Bangkok, Thailand, had the...