- Bad for development: the health impacts of climate change
As the World Health Organization conference on health and climate takes place in Geneva, two blog posts on the complexities of development in the Indian Sundarbans and the fight against Ebola in Africa highlight the links between the two sectors.
Upasona Ghosh, Senior Research Officer at the Institute of Health Management Research works to explore and understand the uncertainties faced by the people of the Sundarbans region, due to climatic events, not only in direct relation to community health, but also to the other social determinants, such as livelihood and food security.
Mao Amis, Executive Director of African Centre for a Green Economy, explores the lessons that we can learn from the current Ebola outbreak when it comes to managing other diseases in the face of climate change.
- The challenges of climate change: children on the front line
- UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, 2014
- This report seeks to broaden and deepen understanding of child rights dimensions in the climate change discourse. The report argues that due to the accelerating global threats to children there is an urgent need to incorporate ...
- Climate variability, adaptation strategies and food security in Malawi
- S. Asfaw; N. McCarthy; L. Lipper / Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 2014
- This study has a focus on climate adaptation strategies for farmers in Malawi. This paper assesses farmers’ incentives and conditioning factors that hinder or promote adaptation strategies and evaluates its impact on crop...
- Environment and humanitarian action: increasing effectiveness, sustainability and accountability
- United Nations [UN] Environment Programme, 2014
- This study examines the integration of environmental considerations into humanitarian operations. Key conclusions can be summarised into four categories: system-wide accountability and responsibility; mainstreaming environment ...
- Getting caught with our plants down: the risks of a global crop yield slowdown from climate trends in the next two decades
- D.B. Lobell; C. Tebaldi / IOPscience, 2014
- This paper argues that climate change could have a large impact on crop yields and food security. This paper estimates the risks that climate trends over the next 10 or 20 years could have large impacts on global yields of whea...
- Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment: Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
- R. Kiele; A. Mageto; G. Numbasa; G. Miria / United Nations Human Settlements Programme, 2014
- This report assesses the vulnerability to climate change of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. It argues that cities must be at the centre of efforts to address the challenge of climate change, both to mitigate its causes and to a...
- Global-to-local modelling of land use dynamics in Vietnam
- A. Ruttena; W. van Rooijb; M. van Dijk / Global Trade Analysis Project, 2014
- This paper presents the preliminary results of two hypothetical futures for Vietnam, a High Climate Impact and a High Economic Growth Scenario. The results of the study are taken to show that the structure of the Vietnamese eco...
- Energy and water: the vital link for a sustainable future
- Stockholm International Water Institute, 2014
- Access to water and energy of the right quality and at an affordable price underpins poverty eradication and improved health. Water is used in energy production and energy in the provision of and treatment of water. However, if we don...
- Final Report: Climate for development in Africa (ClimDev) – Climate sciences and services for Africa - strategic research opportunities for ClimDev
- R. Wilby / Evidence on Demand, 2014
- The Climate for Development in Africa (ClimDev-Africa) Programme is an initiative of the African Union Commission (AUC), the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) Africa Climate Policy Centre (ACPC) and the African Dev...
- Urban development: structured learning guide
- P. Sturgess; W. Acker / Evidence on Demand, 2014
- The purpose of this booklet is to support advisers in DFID to strengthen their knowledge of urban development themes by providing signposts to quality assured references, grey literature and other useful learning materials. This struc...
- Documentation of research on climate change and human health in southern Africa
- O.P. Dube; M.J. Chimbari / University of Copenhagen, 2009
- This report focuses on climate change and human health in the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) region. This report promotes the idea of establishing a knowledge sharing and research network in the region, with speci...