- Complexity of politics in Climate Compatible Development: Creating wins over space and time
As the UNFCCC Bonn Climate Change Conference takes place in Germany, an IDS-led project funded by the Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN) looks at the recent lessons they have learnt on how climate compatible development initiatives are unfolding in Ghana, Kenya and Mozambique. Using a political economy approach, the case studies focus on:
- the contexts in which initiatives occur
- the potential competition or conflict between different actors and their goals, and
- the consequences in terms of who wins and who loses from different aspects of climate compatible development.
The first in a series of three blogs comes from Overseas Development Institute (ODI) Research Fellow Thomas Tanner. Tom is the lead researcher of the Ghana case study that investigates the coastal fisheries sector.
Read the full blog: bit.ly/tt_ccd
- Renewable energy technology: evolution and policy implications – evidence from patent literature
- S. Helm; Q. Tannock; I. Iliev / World Intellectual Property Organization, 2014
- This Global Challenges Report analyses the patent landscapes of four Climate Change Mitigation Technologies (CCMTs) (biofuels, solar thermal, solar photovoltaic (PV) and wind energy) to inform policy discussions by providing empirical...
- Reducing vulnerability of island coasts
- Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme, 2014
- This paper is about the reducing the vulnerability of coasts through appropriate adaptation measures. This is the focus of the Pacific Adaptation to Climate Change (PACC) programme which has four coastal zone demonstration projects, i...
- Atlas of mortality and economic losses from weather, climate and water extremes (1970–2012)
- M. Golnaraghi; C. Etienne; D.G. Sapir; R. Below / World Meteorological Organization, 2014
- This report describes the distribution and impacts of weather, climate, and water-related disasters and highlights measures to increase resilience. It states these kinds of disasters are on the rise worldwide, causing loss of life and...
- Political economy of Climate Compatible Development: artisanal fisheries and climate change in Ghana
- T. Tanner; A. Mensah; E.T. Lawson / Institute of Development Studies UK, 2014
- ‘Climate compatible development’ increases prospects for policy processes that contribute to development, climate change adaptation and mitigation. This paper looks at the complex political economy of climate compatible de...
- The effectiveness of climate finance: a review of the Scaling-up Renewable Energy Program
- S. Barnard; S. Nakhooda / Overseas Development Institute, 2014
- This working paper focuses on the Scaling-up Renewable Energy in Low Income Countries Program (SREP) which was designed to address a gap in the international climate finance architecture by making sure that finance is directed to help...
- Understanding sustainable diets: a descriptive analysis of the determinants and processes that influence diets and their impact on health, food security, and environmental sustainability
- J.L. Johnston; J.C. Fanzo; B. Cogill 2014
- This study argues that the concept of sustainable diets presents an opportunity to advance sustainable development and work for the elimination of poverty, food and nutrition insecurity, and poor health outcomes. This study examines t...
- Beyond storms & droughts: the psychological impacts of climate change
- S. Clayton; C. Manning; C. Hodge / American Psychological Association, 2014
- This report divides the impacts of climate change on human wellbeing and health into three general categories: impacts on mental health, impacts on physical health, and impacts on community health. It concludes with two sets of recomm...
- Climate cooperation with technology investments and border carbon adjustment
- C. Helm; R.C. Schmidt / John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, 2014
- This paper looks at the climate policy question of whether early investments in low-carbon technologies are a useful ?rst step towards a more e?ective climate agreement in the future. It introduces a climate cooperation model with end...
- Carbon forestry and Climate Compatible Development in Mozambique: a political economy analysis
- J. Quan; L.O. Naess; A. Newsham / Institute of Development Studies UK, 2014
- This working paper looks at the political economy of carbon forestry and REDD+ in Mozambique in view of goals for climate compatible development (CCD) - simultaneously addressing emission reduction, adaptation and development. Th...
- Evaluating programmes through a climate adaptation lens: Reflections from coastal areas in Asia and the Pacific
- D. Bours; C. McGinn; P. Pringle / SEA Change, 2014
- The paper highlights ‘lessons learned’ from a small selection of climate change adaptation and resilience (CCAR) evaluations of programmes in high-risk coastal areas in Asia and the Pacific. The objective is to distil key ...