- Connecting development actors in Ethiopia: linking climate change, nutrition and gender
Over the past few days, ordinary people from around the globe have taken to the streets to show their concern at the lack of political will to deal with climate change. The world will be watching how our leaders respond.at the special UN summit in New York.
One of the issues on the agenda is food security. As demonstrated in the latest IPCC report, climate change is having an impact on already worrying levels of hunger and undernutrition in the world. This evidence has reinforced the importance of agriculture becoming more climate smart in order to: increase food security, adapt to build resilience, and reduce agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions (mitigation).
This blog post examines IDS’ recent work in Ethiopia, touching upon how nutritionists, agriculturalists, gender, environmental and climate change professionals are starting to talk to one another and respond to the need for climate smart agriculture.
Read the full blog here: bit.ly/Ethiopia-project
- The political economy of corruption and REDD+: lessons from the Philippines' pilot sites
- G. Mayo-Anda; J. Torres / U4 Anti-Corruption Resource Centre, 2014
- Corruption is a continuing feature of the Philippines’ natural resource sectors. Given keen interest in the country’s REDD+ potential, it is useful to consider corruption risks related to REDD+ from a political economy per...
- Zambia country profile: Monitoring, reporting and verification for REDD+
- M. Day; D. Gumbo; K.B. Moombe / Center for International Forestry Research, 2014
- This report provides an overview of the national REDD+ strategy and institutional capacity for Monitoring Reporting and Verification (MRV) of REDD+ as well as the current state of knowledge of various elements critical to MRV of REDD+...
- Changing Small Island Developing States: A space perspective on environmental change in the Caribbean
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, 2014
- This publication focuses on high-resolution imagery processed to illustrate the impacts on Small Island Developing States of the Caribbean of climate change, sea-level rise, coral bleaching, uncontrolled urban and tourism development,...
- Guidelines for the design and implementation of community-managed water storage in Tuvalu
- L. Bouchet / Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme, 2014
- These guidelines were developed as part of the Pacific Adaptation to Climate Change (PACC) project which aims to build resilience to drought by improving the Tuvalu’s water resources management. The publication details th...
- Poverty and Vulnerability Assessment – a survey instrument for the Hindu Kush Himalayas
- J. Gerlitz; S. Banerjee; B. Hoermann / International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development, 2014
- This publication describes the development and application of ICIMOD’s Poverty and Vulnerability Assessment (PVA), a household survey tool designed to capture key elements of poverty, vulnerability, and adaptive capacity in moun...
- Climate change and water resources in West Africa: an assessment of groundwater management
- USA Agency for International Development, 2014
- This paper addresses the sustainability and potential impacts of climate change on rural groundwater management in West Africa. It recommends starting at local levels and slowly build up larger and more formal organisations to ...
- The Chinyanja Triangle in the Zambezi River Basin, Southern Africa: status of, and prospects for, agriculture, natural resources management and rural development
- T. Amede; L.T. Desta; D. Harris / International Water Management Institute, 2014
- This paper, which focuses on the Chinyanja Triangle (CT), an area inside the Zambezi River Basin, characterises three distinct farming subsystems across rainfall gradients, namely maize-beans-fish, sorghum-millet-livestock and the liv...
- Primary Energy Demand of Renewable Energy Carriers: Part 1: Definitions, accounting methods and their applications with a focus on electricity and heat from renewable energies
- A. Stoffregen; O. Schuller / PE International, 2014
- This paper addresses the different primary energy definitions, accounting methods, and their applications with a focus on electricity and heat generation from renewable energy. In addition to renewable energy sources, primary energy f...
- The knowledge and skills needed to engage in REDD+: a competencies framework
- L. Barquín; M. Chacón; S.N. Panfil / Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical, Colombia, 2014
- This document aims to provide an overview of the essential knowledge, skills and resources required to engage on ten major REDD+ themes. It consists of three sections: 1. Designing Capacity Building Programs to Meet the Needs o...
- Status of forest carbon rights and implications for communities, the carbon trade, and REDD+ investments
- The Rights and Resources Initiative, 2014
- This brief presents research findings and examines the status of existing legal frameworks regarding Indigenous Peoples’ and local communities’ rights to trade forest carbon. It argues that REDD+ has not been ...